Two get death in Odisha for double murder
Bhubaneswar: A court in Odisha has awarded death sentence to two people for murdering a woman and her teenaged daughter in Nuapada district in February last year, a lawyer said on Saturday.
District and sessions judge Madhusudan Dhal of Nuapada town, about 545 km from here, awarded the sentence on Friday to Manoj Bhoi (24) and Motilal Barik (23) for killing Sahebini Mirdha (40) and her 16-year-old daughter Kaushalya.
According to public prosecutor Muralidhar Panda, Bhoi and Barik attacked the Mirdha family with sharp-edged weapons at their house in Sinamunda village on the night of February 2 last year.
The duo demanded Rs 30,000 from Sahebini and attacked her family after she refused to pay them, Panda said.
While the woman died on the spot, her daughter succumbed to injuries later in hospital.
Sahebini`s two sons also sustained injuries, Panda said.
Describing the crime as "the rarest of the rare", judge Madhusudan Dhal awarded death sentence to the men, he said.
It was the second death sentence awarded by courts in Odisha this month.
On October 8, BP Routray, district and sessions judge of district headquarters of Sambalpur, about 315 km from here, had awarded death to a man for raping and murdering a girl.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Will Akhilesh-Rahul alliance be able to trump BJP in UP elections?
- Arms case: Salman Khan acquitted by Jodhpur court
- Raisina Dialogue 2017: Pakistan must walk away from terror, says PM Modi
- DNA: Analysis of insensitivity shown by political leaders over rising poverty in India
- Valour of a soldier: CRPF officer Satwant Singh fights Naxals till his last breath
- World's 30 most dynamic cities: Check out the full list
- WATCH: Kieron Pollard's incredible one-handed six demoralises Fawad Ahmed
- China State TV said that its troops can reach New Delhi in 48 hours in war scenario; Indians slay it with their replies
- Virat Kohli's 'shot of the year' already has a big challenger – See video to believe!
- WATCH: Dope-tainted Brock Lesnar causes carnage on return to WWE Raw ahead of Royal Rumble