Two held for supplying mobile to `Maoist` prisoner in Odisha
Berhampur: Two persons were arrested in Odisha`s Ganjam district on charge of supplying mobile phones and other accessories to a prisoner, suspected to be a Maoist.
The duo, arrested yesterday and identified as Santosh Sahu and Nilanchal Mallick, are contractors and close associates of Sangram Mohanty, the suspected Maoist who is currently lodged in a jail at Paralakhemundi in Gajapati district.
"During investigation, we came to know that the duo had supplied a mobile phone to Sangram in the jail," said Sub-Divisional Police Officer (SDPO) Paralakhemundi, Gagarin Mohanty.
He, however, did not elaborate how the mobile handset was sneaked into the high-security jail.
"The prison authorities are looking into the matter," he said.
Police had recovered three SIM cards, charger and some other items, including dry-foods from the cell of sub jail where Sangram was lodged on Friday evening.
Police also seized a shaving kit including blades, perfume, powder and some fruits from the cell during the raids. Under provisions of jail manual, supply of these items inside the prison is prohibited, police said.
Sangram, a software engineer and son of Dandapani Mohanty, convener of the Jana Adhikar Manch (JAM), was arrested on charge of Maoist activities on December 6 last year from Kamalapur square in Mohana.
Several arms, ammunition and Maoist literature were seized from them.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Watch - Huge fire breaks out at petrol pump in Kota, Rajasthan
- Bihar: Congress leader Brajesh Pandey accused of running sex racket
- BJP MP Yogi Adityanath compares Akhilesh Yadav with 'Aurangzeb' and 'Kans'
- Acrimonious remarks of political leaders during UP elections
- UP polls: When fans played spoilsport for SP star campaigner Dimple Yadav
- Reliance Jio's tariff plan from April 1; voice calls, roaming to be free: Mukesh Ambani
- Virat Kohli thanks sprint legend Usain Bolt for congratulating him on 'record' Puma deal
- BMC exit poll: BJP predicted to score big in neck-and-neck battle with Shiv Sena
- IPL 2017 Auction: Reaction-filled Twitter erupts with emotions!
- Reliance Jio Prime Membership at Rs 99: All you need to know about the plan