Two held for supplying mobile to `Maoist` prisoner in Odisha
Berhampur: Two persons were arrested in Odisha`s Ganjam district on charge of supplying mobile phones and other accessories to a prisoner, suspected to be a Maoist.
The duo, arrested yesterday and identified as Santosh Sahu and Nilanchal Mallick, are contractors and close associates of Sangram Mohanty, the suspected Maoist who is currently lodged in a jail at Paralakhemundi in Gajapati district.
"During investigation, we came to know that the duo had supplied a mobile phone to Sangram in the jail," said Sub-Divisional Police Officer (SDPO) Paralakhemundi, Gagarin Mohanty.
He, however, did not elaborate how the mobile handset was sneaked into the high-security jail.
"The prison authorities are looking into the matter," he said.
Police had recovered three SIM cards, charger and some other items, including dry-foods from the cell of sub jail where Sangram was lodged on Friday evening.
Police also seized a shaving kit including blades, perfume, powder and some fruits from the cell during the raids. Under provisions of jail manual, supply of these items inside the prison is prohibited, police said.
Sangram, a software engineer and son of Dandapani Mohanty, convener of the Jana Adhikar Manch (JAM), was arrested on charge of Maoist activities on December 6 last year from Kamalapur square in Mohana.
Several arms, ammunition and Maoist literature were seized from them.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Will Shiv Sena join hands with Congress to stop BJP from entering BMC?
- Why is Akhilesh Yadav encouraging dishonesty for votes?
- China 'threatened' by ISRO's record-setting achievement?
- Report: Are mobile smartphones more unhygienic than toilet seats?
- Delhi: Three-year-old twins die after falling into washing machine in Rohini
- Virender Sehwag's reply to Kargil martyr's daughter has taken the Internet by storm
- Ind vs Aus: Mohammed Azharuddin says Jayant Yadav and Ishant Sharma should be replaced in next Test
- WATCH: Kieron Pollard's epic celebration after destroying Lahore Qalandars in Dubai
- Indian doctor rescued from ISIS recounts horror, says 'they forced me to watch videos, shot me thrice'
- Pune Test: Virender Sehwag could have saved India from embarrassment, says former Aussie stars