Two immolate to keep cops out of house in Odisha
Bhubaneswar: Two men set themselves afire in Odisha in a bid to prevent policemen from entering their house as they investigated a crime, a family member said Monday.
Sheikh Sadique, 25 and his elder brother Sabir, 35 were upset that a police team was in their house in the district headquarters town of Balasore, about 200 km from here, to arrest them Sunday in connection with an attack on a local resident.
As soon as the police team entered the house, the duo allegedly poured kerosene and set fire to themselves.
One the brothers died on the way to hospital, while the other died during treatment.
"Though they were on fire, the policemen dragged them into the jeep without making any attempt to douse the flames. The police had come to arrest them even if they were innocent" Arzu Biwi, wife of Sabir, said.
Police however refuted the allegation.
"The policemen rushed them to hospital. The two were involved in criminal activities, and both had nearly 90 percent burns," police officer Tariq Ahemad said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Over 60 cadets killed in Pakistan police academy attack
- DNA: Exclusive report on the extreme sacrifices made by ITBP soldiers
- Watch: PM Narendra Modi's ''progressive'' remark on triple talaq
- I pay my tribute to martyr Naresh Pal: PM Narendra Modi
- Some people are creating confusion between me and my father: Akhilesh Yadav
- Explosion in Delhi's Naya Bazar, one killed; anti-terror wing, Special cell at spot
- This is why Cyrus Mistry was removed as Chairman of Tata Sons!
- WATCH: Akhilesh Yadav's emotional speech revealing the real reason behind Samajwadi Party crisis; he was about to cry
- Prompt action on border pushes Pak to offer olive branch, says both sides need to 'formalise' 2003 ceasefire
- 7th Pay Commission: Committee on Allowances proposes hike in HRA for central govt employees