Two immolate to keep cops out of house in Odisha
Bhubaneswar: Two men set themselves afire in Odisha in a bid to prevent policemen from entering their house as they investigated a crime, a family member said Monday.
Sheikh Sadique, 25 and his elder brother Sabir, 35 were upset that a police team was in their house in the district headquarters town of Balasore, about 200 km from here, to arrest them Sunday in connection with an attack on a local resident.
As soon as the police team entered the house, the duo allegedly poured kerosene and set fire to themselves.
One the brothers died on the way to hospital, while the other died during treatment.
"Though they were on fire, the policemen dragged them into the jeep without making any attempt to douse the flames. The police had come to arrest them even if they were innocent" Arzu Biwi, wife of Sabir, said.
Police however refuted the allegation.
"The policemen rushed them to hospital. The two were involved in criminal activities, and both had nearly 90 percent burns," police officer Tariq Ahemad said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Political war of words erupts over Yakub Memon's execution
- Dr Subhash Chandra Show: How do you cope up with ever changing environment in life?
- Exclusive interview with APJ Abdul Kalam’s aide Srijan Pal Singh
- Russian aircraft Mi-28 crashes during an aerobatics show
- Shravan month begins, devotees throng Shiva temples
- Watch: Passenger plane dangerously oscillates before touching runway
- Yakub Memon's execution: Supreme Court Deputy Registrar quits over judgement
- Indian Army finds cow bombs near border, Maoists hand suspected?
- Govt formalises strategies to counter ISIS threat, maintain internal security
- Manbir Kaur becomes first Sikh girl in Pakistan to top Class 10 exam