Two immolate to keep cops out of house in Odisha
Bhubaneswar: Two men set themselves afire in Odisha in a bid to prevent policemen from entering their house as they investigated a crime, a family member said Monday.
Sheikh Sadique, 25 and his elder brother Sabir, 35 were upset that a police team was in their house in the district headquarters town of Balasore, about 200 km from here, to arrest them Sunday in connection with an attack on a local resident.
As soon as the police team entered the house, the duo allegedly poured kerosene and set fire to themselves.
One the brothers died on the way to hospital, while the other died during treatment.
"Though they were on fire, the policemen dragged them into the jeep without making any attempt to douse the flames. The police had come to arrest them even if they were innocent" Arzu Biwi, wife of Sabir, said.
Police however refuted the allegation.
"The policemen rushed them to hospital. The two were involved in criminal activities, and both had nearly 90 percent burns," police officer Tariq Ahemad said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- There will be earthquake if I speak on demonetisation: Rahul Gandhi
- Opposition observes 'black day' to mark one month of demonetisation
- Zee Media Exclusive: A reality check on public opinion on notes ban!
- Panel discussion on the decision of demonetisation
- Watch shocking visuals - Speeding car rams pedestrians in Kolkata, 3 killed
- Yuvraj Singh-Hazel Keech Reception: MS Dhoni, Sourav Ganguly, Virender Sehwag attend lavish party — PHOTOS INSIDE
- Mongolia seeks India's financial aid, Chinese official media says it's 'insane'
- SC asks govt if demonetisation was confidential; to judge if policy unconstitutional
- Reliance Jio effect: Airtel offers free unlimited local and STD calls with 4G data at Rs 145
- OMG! Man punches Kangaroo in face to save dog – Watch video