Two immolate to keep cops out of house in Odisha
Bhubaneswar: Two men set themselves afire in Odisha in a bid to prevent policemen from entering their house as they investigated a crime, a family member said Monday.
Sheikh Sadique, 25 and his elder brother Sabir, 35 were upset that a police team was in their house in the district headquarters town of Balasore, about 200 km from here, to arrest them Sunday in connection with an attack on a local resident.
As soon as the police team entered the house, the duo allegedly poured kerosene and set fire to themselves.
One the brothers died on the way to hospital, while the other died during treatment.
"Though they were on fire, the policemen dragged them into the jeep without making any attempt to douse the flames. The police had come to arrest them even if they were innocent" Arzu Biwi, wife of Sabir, said.
Police however refuted the allegation.
"The policemen rushed them to hospital. The two were involved in criminal activities, and both had nearly 90 percent burns," police officer Tariq Ahemad said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Defence Minister Manohar Parrikar stands in a queue at Pune wedding!
- India's second deadliest heatwave kills more than 2000 people
- Jamaat-e-Islami chief announces Rs 100 cr reward for PM Modi's arrest
- DNA: Captain Saurabh Kalia's torture at the hands of Pakistani Army
- DNA: Govt tests Maggi noodle samples from all states
- Check CHSE orrisharesults.nic.in, chseodisha.nic.in for Class 12 (Plus Two) Result 2015
- Will ask SC if India can pursue Captain Saurabh Kalia case against Pakistan in ICJ: Sushma Swaraj
- Salman, Aamir, Shah Rukh in a film together?
- Anti-minority remarks by Sangh Parivar leaders 'uncalled for': Narendra Modi