Two jawans assault journalist, suspended
Bhubaneswar: The Odisha Police today suspended one more jawan of India Reserve Battalion (IRB) on the charge of assaulting a journalist during a demonstration near the Chief Minister`s residence yesterday.
"We have suspended two jawans in connection with the assault on a journalist," Director General of Police Prakash Mishra told reporters here after holding a marathon meeting with a delegation of journalists.
The DGP, who is probing the assault incident, said he will complete the investigation before completion of the budget session of the assembly on April 7.
In order to ensure safety of journalists covering rallies, demonstrations, the Commissionrate of Police would provide jackets mentioning media. "The media persons could be identified easily during any law and order situation," DGP Prakash Mishra said.
The security personnel allegedly beat up a reporter near Naveen Niwas while he was covering a demonstration staged by Chhatra Congress.
Meanwhile, an advocate of Orissa High Court and human rights activist Prabir Kumar Das approached the National Human Rights Commission (NHRC) through an application urging them to ensure a fair inquiry into the police assault.
Terming it as an attack on the freedom of the press and violation of basic human rights guaranteed under Articles 19 (1)a and 19 (1)g read with Article 21 of Constitution of India, the activist has urged the Commission to intervene and award a damage of Rs one lakh to the aggrieved journalist who had to be hospitalised after sustaining grievous injuries.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Highlights - India vs England 2nd ODI in Cuttack
- Donald Trump to be sworn in as 45th US President today
- Etah: School bus collides with truck, several children killed
- J&K: LeT militant gunned down by security forces in Bandipora
- Exclusive: Srinagar freezes at minus 3; common man struggles for basic commodities
- WATCH: MS Dhoni asks Jasprit Bumrah to go easy after he hurriedly ran out England skipper Eoin Morgan
- WATCH: How MS Dhoni saved Yuvraj Singh's wicket with another successful DRS review
- IND vs ENG, 2nd ODI: Yuvraj Singh silences critics with 14th ODI hundred, fourth against England — WATCH
- India vs England: After Virender Sehwag, Sachin Tendulkar gives Piers Morgan cricketing gyan
- Donald Trump's Inauguration Day: As it happened