Two killed, 16 hurt in Odisha clash
Jharsuguda (Odisha): Two workers of a coal transport company were killed and 16 others, including six police personnel, injured in a clash at Belpahar in Odisha`s Jharsuguda district, police said on Sunday.
The incident took place after drivers and helpers, who were agitating for pay hike, allegedly attacked the transport firm office and tried to set it on fire, Deputy Superintendent of Police Anthony Tirkey said.
The protesters, who had gathered at the company office premises, suddenly turned violent as negotiation for their pay hike reportedly failed and also pelted stones at Policemen deployed at the site as a precautionary measure, he said.
As the workers turned violent, the Police opened fire, Tirkey said, adding one person was killed at the site while another succumbed to injury at Hospital.
At least 16 persons, including six police personnel, were injured during the clash and several of them were undergoing treatment at VSS Medical College and Hospital at Burla, he said.
The deceased were identified as driver Abinash Soren of Hurduna in Purulia district of West Bengal and Gaurab Hembram of Sareipara in Mayurbhanj district, the DSP said.
The six police personnel injured in the clash were a Havildar, a sub-inspector, an assistant sub-inspectors and three constables, he said.
Situation in the area was tense but under control after the incident, Tirkey said, adding adequate security personnel were deployed in the area in order to prevent any further flare up.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Revealed - How Indian Army hit terror camps across LoC!
- Pak forces will teach Zee News what real surgical strike is: Hafiz Saeed
- India used 'Cartosat 2c' satellite in surgical strikes against Pakistan
- Panel discussion on Hafiz Saeed's reaction after Indian Army surgical strikes
- DNA: Inside story of Indian Army's surgical strikes across LoC
- Hafiz Saeed threatens Zee News, says Pak forces will teach what real surgical strikes are
- Pak postpones SAARC Summit after five member states pull out of conference: As it happened
- After threatening Zee News, Hafiz Saeed says PM Modi, Ajit Doval staged `surgical strike drama'
- India's surgical strikes: Pakistan buries slain terrorists to hide evidence, asks Masood Azhar to go mum
- Who is Chandu Babulal Chauhan and why India wants to bring him back from Pakistan - Read