Two killed, 16 hurt in Odisha clash
Jharsuguda (Odisha): Two workers of a coal transport company were killed and 16 others, including six police personnel, injured in a clash at Belpahar in Odisha`s Jharsuguda district, police said on Sunday.
The incident took place after drivers and helpers, who were agitating for pay hike, allegedly attacked the transport firm office and tried to set it on fire, Deputy Superintendent of Police Anthony Tirkey said.
The protesters, who had gathered at the company office premises, suddenly turned violent as negotiation for their pay hike reportedly failed and also pelted stones at Policemen deployed at the site as a precautionary measure, he said.
As the workers turned violent, the Police opened fire, Tirkey said, adding one person was killed at the site while another succumbed to injury at Hospital.
At least 16 persons, including six police personnel, were injured during the clash and several of them were undergoing treatment at VSS Medical College and Hospital at Burla, he said.
The deceased were identified as driver Abinash Soren of Hurduna in Purulia district of West Bengal and Gaurab Hembram of Sareipara in Mayurbhanj district, the DSP said.
The six police personnel injured in the clash were a Havildar, a sub-inspector, an assistant sub-inspectors and three constables, he said.
Situation in the area was tense but under control after the incident, Tirkey said, adding adequate security personnel were deployed in the area in order to prevent any further flare up.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- 11-year old Odisha boy to get football training at Bayern Munich in Germany
- China warns India against deploying BrahMos cruise missile in Arunachal Pradesh
- One killed in TV channel office attack in Karachi
- Gujarat: Journalist working for local daily found dead in his Junagadh office
- Watch: How floods throw normal life out of gear across country
- Know what Ranveer Singh has to say about Akshay Kumar
- A love story for Akshay Kumar in toilet? Details inside
- Wondering if Ranveer Singh is on board Deepika Padukone’s ‘Padmavati’? Details inside
- Saif Ali Khan finds Kareena Kapoor very sexy in 'Yeh Mera Dil' song
- Donald Trump demands special prosecutor to probe Hillary Clinton allegations