Two labour contractors abducted in Odisha
Malkangiri (Odisha): Armed Maoists abducted two labour contractors in Odisha`s Malkangiri district alleging non-payment of wages to workers sent out of the state, police said Wednesday.
A group of armed ultras struck at village Padiguda in Kalimela area last night and took away labour contractors Lacha Padiami and Singa Kunjami and a college student, Ramesh Saldam, Superintendent of Police Akhilesh Singh said.
Though the Naxals took away the three at gun point into the dense forest nearby, Ramesh was later released by the red rebels who realised that he was only a college student and had nothing to do with engagement of labourers, police said.
However, Padiami and Kunjami were held hostage by the Maoists who alleged that many labourers sent by the two to work in Andhra Pradesh and Chhattisgarh were yet to get payment, they said.
Sources said the two could be released by the Maoist abductors only after the dues claimed by the labourers were cleared.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Is population control next on central govt's agenda after demonetization?
- Gujarat: Goods train engine catches fire in Surat
- Tamil Nadu CM Jayalalithaa's condition extremely grave
- Jayalalithaa's funeral procession: Sea of mourners gather to pay last respects
- Watch: Jayalalithaa's last rites performed by her close friend and aide Sasikala Natarajan
- RIP Amma: Jayalalithaa dies after 75 days in hospital; Tamil Nadu mourns
- Fake or Real? 'Alien animal' caught on Karnataka-Kerala border
- RBI to issue new Rs 100 banknotes, old notes to continue as legal tender
- Airtel’s free 4G internet offer may be a ploy to steal your data
- People want to know whether Jayalalithaa is alive or not; PM Narendra Modi must intervene, says expelled AIADMK MP Sasikala Pushpa