Two labour contractors abducted in Odisha
Malkangiri (Odisha): Armed Maoists abducted two labour contractors in Odisha`s Malkangiri district alleging non-payment of wages to workers sent out of the state, police said Wednesday.
A group of armed ultras struck at village Padiguda in Kalimela area last night and took away labour contractors Lacha Padiami and Singa Kunjami and a college student, Ramesh Saldam, Superintendent of Police Akhilesh Singh said.
Though the Naxals took away the three at gun point into the dense forest nearby, Ramesh was later released by the red rebels who realised that he was only a college student and had nothing to do with engagement of labourers, police said.
However, Padiami and Kunjami were held hostage by the Maoists who alleged that many labourers sent by the two to work in Andhra Pradesh and Chhattisgarh were yet to get payment, they said.
Sources said the two could be released by the Maoist abductors only after the dues claimed by the labourers were cleared.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- UP CM Yogi Adityanath takes 50 decisions without single Cabinet meet
- UP CM Yogi Adityanath reviews Gomti riverfront work
- UP CM Yogi Adityanath warns supporters of criminals, mafia
- Legal, illegal slaughterhouses in UP: What you need to know
- Triple talaq, polygamy integral part of Islam: AIMPLB tells SC
- Azam Khan demands ban on cow slaughter across India, says Muslims should stop eating beef
- Kapil Sharma–Sunil Grover fallout: Kiku Sharda finally breaks silence
- Sunil Grover to return as Dr Mashoor Gulati!
- Asaduddin Owaisi asks Centre to clarify policy on buffalo meat export, Nirmala Sitharaman gives apt reply
- No ban on cow slaughter in three Northeast states if party comes to power next year: BJP