Two Maoist cadres arrested in Odisha
Koraput: A hardcore Maoist, wanted in 40 cases including the murder of many civilians, was arrested along with one other ultra from Kunjiri village of this Left-wing extremism affected district. Samburu Sirika (35), local commander of Srikakulam-Koraput divisional committee of the CPI (Maoist), was held with another ultra identified as Beeri Miniaka, police said on Sunday.
Both of them, arrested late on Friday, belong to Tinganaput village of the Narayanpatna block of the district.
"Based on intelligence inputs about presence of Samburu and Beeri at Kunjiri village, a raid was conducted by the police and the duo was nabbed," said Koraput SP Awinash Kumar.
The police said after remaining engaged with Chasi Muliya Adivasi Sangh (CMAS) initially, Samburu was inducted into the armed squad of SKDC.
He is accused of killing as many as 20 civilians in last four years by branding them as police informers, they said.
In 2009, Samburu had killed 5 such persons, four in 2010 and again five in the next year. Continuing his offencive against the suspected police informers, he had killed five people in 2012 and 1 in 2013, police added.
"Samburu had unleashed terror in the area. He was leading local units of SKDC at Narayanpatna and Bandhugaon blocks of Koraput district, bordering areas of Rayagada and certain parts of Andhra Pradesh," the SP said.
Apart from being directly involved in the murders, Samburu was part of Maoist group, which triggered a landmine blast on Narayanpatna-Laxmipur road in which 9 security personnel were killed in 2009, police said.
Beeri was also an armed cadre and had assisted Samburu in many offensives, including murder. "During interrogation, Beeri has confessed to assisting Samburu in five murders and triggering landmine blast at Narayanpatna in which a BSF jawan was killed in 2012," Kumar said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Will Akhilesh-Rahul alliance be able to trump BJP in UP elections?
- Arms case: Salman Khan acquitted by Jodhpur court
- Raisina Dialogue 2017: Pakistan must walk away from terror, says PM Modi
- DNA: Analysis of insensitivity shown by political leaders over rising poverty in India
- Etah: School bus collides with truck, several children killed
- World's 30 most dynamic cities: Check out the full list
- WATCH: Kieron Pollard's incredible one-handed six demoralises Fawad Ahmed
- Bengaluru pips Silicon Valley to become world's most dynamic city