Two Maoists including woman surrenders before police
Keonjhar: Two Maoists, including a woman cadre, surrendered before police in Odisha`s Keonjhar district on Monday.
The duo were active cadres in neighbouring Jharkhand and members of the Maoist Communist Centre (MCC), Superintendent of Police, Aniruddha Kumar Singh, said.
Identified as Mochhi Lugun alias Munda (32) of Murusuan village in Keonjhar district, he was close associate of Gunga Munda, a top cadre of Chhotanagpur division of red rebels. Mochhi joined the out-lawed outfit to strengthen the activities in Keonjhar district, the SP said.
The woman cadre, Munkhi Munda alias Muni (30), hails from Jhirpani village of Sundargarh district. She is the wife of Gunga, who joined the cadre to undertake various Maoists activities.
They will be provided with government assistance as per rehabilitation policy, Singh said.
The duo revealed that both of them were wooed by the Maoists who always told them about the "police excess and torture meted out towards tribals." They, however, returned to the main stream after knowing the truth.
During the last three years, a total of 28 Maoist activists including the recent pair have surrendered before the police the SP said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Afzal Guru row: JNU Students' Union president Kanhaiya Kumar arrested
- Missing girl from Ghaziabad, Dipti Sarna returns; reunited with family
- DNA: Analysis on actions taken against students protesting at JNU
- DNA: Analysis on actions taken against students protesting at JNU - Part II
- Watch: How students at JNU showcased anti-India spirit! - Part II
- Kumar Vishwas' birthday bash: Ajit Doval, BJP and RSS leaders attend; Arvind Kejriwal missing
- Afzal Guru row: JNU students union president Kanhaiya Kumar arrested by Delhi Police
- Snapdeal employee Dipti Sarna reaches home, police and family remain tight-lipped over her recovery
- Was abducted, blindfolded for four hours; Snapdeal employee Dipti Sarna narrates her ordeal
- Fitoor movie review: Tabu overpowers, Katrina Kaif, Aditya Roy Kapur leave a lasting impact!