Two Maoists including woman surrenders before police
Keonjhar: Two Maoists, including a woman cadre, surrendered before police in Odisha`s Keonjhar district on Monday.
The duo were active cadres in neighbouring Jharkhand and members of the Maoist Communist Centre (MCC), Superintendent of Police, Aniruddha Kumar Singh, said.
Identified as Mochhi Lugun alias Munda (32) of Murusuan village in Keonjhar district, he was close associate of Gunga Munda, a top cadre of Chhotanagpur division of red rebels. Mochhi joined the out-lawed outfit to strengthen the activities in Keonjhar district, the SP said.
The woman cadre, Munkhi Munda alias Muni (30), hails from Jhirpani village of Sundargarh district. She is the wife of Gunga, who joined the cadre to undertake various Maoists activities.
They will be provided with government assistance as per rehabilitation policy, Singh said.
The duo revealed that both of them were wooed by the Maoists who always told them about the "police excess and torture meted out towards tribals." They, however, returned to the main stream after knowing the truth.
During the last three years, a total of 28 Maoist activists including the recent pair have surrendered before the police the SP said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Highlights - India vs England 2nd ODI in Cuttack
- Donald Trump to be sworn in as 45th US President today
- Exclusive: Srinagar freezes at minus 3; common man struggles for basic commodities
- Etah: School bus collides with truck, several children killed
- DNA: Manish Sisodia faces CBI probe over alleged irregularities in 'Talk To AK' programme
- WATCH: MS Dhoni asks Jasprit Bumrah to go easy after he hurriedly ran out England skipper Eoin Morgan
- WATCH: How MS Dhoni saved Yuvraj Singh's wicket with another successful DRS review
- IND vs ENG, 2nd ODI: Yuvraj Singh silences critics with 14th ODI hundred, fourth against England — WATCH
- India vs England: After Virender Sehwag, Sachin Tendulkar gives Piers Morgan cricketing gyan
- Donald Trump's Inauguration Day: As it happened