Two Maoists including woman surrenders before police
Keonjhar: Two Maoists, including a woman cadre, surrendered before police in Odisha`s Keonjhar district on Monday.
The duo were active cadres in neighbouring Jharkhand and members of the Maoist Communist Centre (MCC), Superintendent of Police, Aniruddha Kumar Singh, said.
Identified as Mochhi Lugun alias Munda (32) of Murusuan village in Keonjhar district, he was close associate of Gunga Munda, a top cadre of Chhotanagpur division of red rebels. Mochhi joined the out-lawed outfit to strengthen the activities in Keonjhar district, the SP said.
The woman cadre, Munkhi Munda alias Muni (30), hails from Jhirpani village of Sundargarh district. She is the wife of Gunga, who joined the cadre to undertake various Maoists activities.
They will be provided with government assistance as per rehabilitation policy, Singh said.
The duo revealed that both of them were wooed by the Maoists who always told them about the "police excess and torture meted out towards tribals." They, however, returned to the main stream after knowing the truth.
During the last three years, a total of 28 Maoist activists including the recent pair have surrendered before the police the SP said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Sheena murder: Trio to be taken to Raigad to re-construct crime scene
- Mikhail emailed sister Sheena Bora's resignation letter: Report
- DNA: 1965 Indo-Pak war- Analysis of India's victory and exposing Pakistan's lies
- Raksha Bandhan: Sushma Swaraj ties Rakhi to Venkaiah Naidu
- Shiv Sena announces award of 2 lakh for Hindu families with 5 kids
- Indrani's ex-husband Sanjeev Khanna confesses to police he was involved in Sheena's murder
- Women's hockey team seals Olympic spot after 36 years, creates history on Dhyan Chand's birthday
- Dawood, Hafiz Saeed to be in fix as US, India may join hands to nab them
- Sushma Swaraj ties rakhi to M Venkaiah Naidu
- Indrani Mukerjea's son Mikhail emailed Sheena Bora's resignation letter