Two ministers, Ananga Udaya Singh Deo are BJD RS nominees
Bhubaneswar: After backing renowned sculptor Raghunath Mohapatra for Rajya Sabha polls, ruling BJD in Odisha on Monday announced three candidates for the February seven elections to the upper house of Parliament, including two state ministers.
The party candidates for three of the four seats falling vacant are Panchayati Raj Minister Kalpataru Das, Textiles Minister Sarojini Hembram and former minister Ananga Udaya Singh Deo, BJD said in a statement.
Deo is from the erstwhile royal family of Bolangir.
The party had earlier announced its decision to support Raghunath Mohapatra for the fourth seat.
Elections are scheduled to be held to fill the four Rajya Sabha seats in the state as the terms of Ramachandra Khuntia of Congress, Mangala Kissan and Renubala Pradhan of BJD and Balbir Punj of BJP are coming to an end.
Meanwhile, Congress has decided to field Ranjib Biswal, a former Lok Sabha member for the fourth seat, while BJP is yet to make its position clear.
At present Odisha assembly has 107 BJD members, Congress 27, BJP six and CPI one. There are six independent MLAs in the 147-member house.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Rajasthan: Gujjars revive reservation agitation, block rail track
- J Jayalalithaa sworn-in as Chief Minister of Tamil Nadu
- Dr Subhash Chandra Show: Aspiring for more than what you have!
- ISIS to buy first nuclear weapon from Pak?
- Mumbai: CCTV captures assailant with gun at Film City
- Mathura SSP receives death threat letter, message for PM Modi
- BJP now central pole of Indian politics: Arun Jaitley
- Maharashtra FDA sends Maggi noodles for lab testing
- Watch: Fast N Facts @ 7:30pm
- Reservation issue: Police register case against Bainsla, 20 others
- Haridwar: Hotel Radisson Blu sealed for polluting Ganga
- Delhi: Two killed in road accident in New Ashok Nagar
- Girl in Punjab's Pathankot quit studies for fear of eve-teasing
- Zee Media exclusive chat with 'Welcome to Karachi' cast
- Zee Media exclusive interview with Haryana CM Manohar Lal Khattar
- Goa Board SSC Exam Results 2015 announced
- ISIS close to buying nuclear weapon from Pakistan?
- Manohar Parrikar visits forward areas along LoC, reviews security situation
- Credibility of Prime Minister's Office restored by BJP, says Arun Jaitley
- ISIS justifies raping slave girls, says Michelle Obama is 'worth $40'
- IPL 2015 Final: Mumbai Indians vs Chennai Super Kings - Preview
- 'Unhappy' Celina Jaitley asks Sunny Leone to move out?
- Arvind Kejriwal to highlight AAP govt's 100 days work on Monday
- CBSE Results 2015: 10th board exam results to be declared on May 27
- BJP's plan for one-year celebration: 200 big rallies, 5,000 public meetings
- IPL 8 Final: We need to be at our best against Mumbai, says Michael Hussey
- Heatwave leaves 153 dead in Telangana, Andhra Pradesh
- Heatwave kills 223 in AP, Telangana, Chandrababu Naidu announces compensation; Delhi records hottest day
- 'Tanu Weds Manu Returns' starts on a good note at the Box Office!
- CBSE Results 2015: 12th board exam results to be declared on May 25