Two more arrested in Graham Staines murder case
Bhubaneswar: The CBI on Friday arrested two more accused in connection with the case in which Australian missionary Graham Staines and his two minor sons were burnt alive by a mob in Odisha in 1999.
The two, identified as Ghanshyam Mahanta and Ramjan Mahanta, were picked up from Anandpur area in Odisha`s Keonjhar district by CBI sleuths in the early hours, Anandpur police station inspector in-charge Abhay Shankar Kar said.
While Ghanshyam was arrested from Gayalamunda village, Ramjan was nabbed from nearby Bhaludhera, he said, adding that the duo was taken to Bhubaneswar.
"Both the accused were taken to CBI office in Bhubaneswar and interrogated by investigators," B K Pradhan, DSP in Special Cell of CBI, Kolkata told reporters in Bhubaneswar.
Pradhan said the duo would be produced before the special CBI court shortly.
Staines, along with his two minor sons Philip and Timothy, was burnt alive on January 22, 1999 by a mob while they were asleep in their station wagon at Manoharpur village in Odisha`s Keonjhar district.
Bajrang Dal member Dara Singh and 12 others were held guilty of the crime. On September 22, 2003 a special court awarded death sentence to Dara Singh and life imprisonment to 12 others.
However, Orissa High Court on May 19, 2005 set aside the death sentence to Dara Singh and commuted it to life term. The high court retained life imprisonment awarded to Mahendra Hembram, another accused, while acquitting 11 others.
On January 21, 2011, the Supreme Court upheld life term for Dara Singh by the Orissa High Court and his accomplice Hembram.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Watch: PM Narendra Modi addressing rally in Imphal
- Will Shiv Sena join hands with Congress to stop BJP from entering BMC?
- Report: Are mobile smartphones more unhygienic than toilet seats?
- Delhi: Three-year-old twins die after falling into washing machine in Rohini
- BSF catches cow slaughter gang near India-Bangladesh border in Malda
- Ind vs Aus: Mohammed Azharuddin says Jayant Yadav and Ishant Sharma should be replaced in next Test
- WATCH: Kieron Pollard's epic celebration after destroying Lahore Qalandars in Dubai
- Indian doctor rescued from ISIS recounts horror, says 'they forced me to watch videos, shot me thrice'
- Mitchell Johnson takes a dig at Anil Kumble over calling Steve O'Keefe 'steady'
- India vs Australia, 1st Test, Day 3: As it happened...