Two more die of suspected food poisoning in Orissa
Bhubaneswar: Two more people died of suspected food poisoning on Wednesday in Orissa`s Kandhamal district, raising to 10 the death toll in last weekend`s contaminated food tragedy, health authorities said here.
"Two people died at Maharaja Krishna Chandra Gajapati Medical College and Hospital at Berhampur. While one person died on Tuesday, another died on Wednesday. Both were adults," Bikash Patnaik, joint director of the health department, told a news service here.
Dozens of people fell ill over the weekend after reportedly consuming some contaminated food in Gudrigaon village under Saramuli gram panchayat, some 200 km from district headquarters Phulbani.
While 8 people, including four children, died within 48 hours, officials said most of the people with signs of the illness were discharged after treatment.
"Doctors are still camping in the village. There is no report of further illness," Jatin Patnaik, chief district medical officer, told a news service.
Investigations were still on to determine the exact cause of the illness, he added.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Is this for real: Ajinkya Rahane bizarre shot went for six, concerned Virat Kohli settles with smile — WATCH
- WATCH: Tom Latham takes IMPOSSIBLE catch to dismiss Faf du Plessis
- Azam Khan demands ban on cow slaughter across India, says Muslims should stop eating beef
- Asaduddin Owaisi asks Centre to clarify policy on buffalo meat export, Nirmala Sitharaman gives apt reply
- Sunil Grover to return as Dr Mashoor Gulati!