Two more die of suspected food poisoning in Orissa
Bhubaneswar: Two more people died of suspected food poisoning on Wednesday in Orissa`s Kandhamal district, raising to 10 the death toll in last weekend`s contaminated food tragedy, health authorities said here.
"Two people died at Maharaja Krishna Chandra Gajapati Medical College and Hospital at Berhampur. While one person died on Tuesday, another died on Wednesday. Both were adults," Bikash Patnaik, joint director of the health department, told a news service here.
Dozens of people fell ill over the weekend after reportedly consuming some contaminated food in Gudrigaon village under Saramuli gram panchayat, some 200 km from district headquarters Phulbani.
While 8 people, including four children, died within 48 hours, officials said most of the people with signs of the illness were discharged after treatment.
"Doctors are still camping in the village. There is no report of further illness," Jatin Patnaik, chief district medical officer, told a news service.
Investigations were still on to determine the exact cause of the illness, he added.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Sunanda Pushkar murder case: Police may approach court seeking lie detector test on Shashi Tharoor
- Check JEE (Main) 2015 rank on www.jeemain.nic.in, cbseresults.nic.in
- Jawaharlal Nehru's Wikipedia page edited from govt IP address; Congress seeks PM Modi's reply
- No liberal approach, mediation or compromise in rape cases: Supreme Court
- Delhi court restrains release of controversial movie 'Mohalla Assi'