Two more die of suspected food poisoning in Orissa
Bhubaneswar: Two more people died of suspected food poisoning on Wednesday in Orissa`s Kandhamal district, raising to 10 the death toll in last weekend`s contaminated food tragedy, health authorities said here.
"Two people died at Maharaja Krishna Chandra Gajapati Medical College and Hospital at Berhampur. While one person died on Tuesday, another died on Wednesday. Both were adults," Bikash Patnaik, joint director of the health department, told a news service here.
Dozens of people fell ill over the weekend after reportedly consuming some contaminated food in Gudrigaon village under Saramuli gram panchayat, some 200 km from district headquarters Phulbani.
While 8 people, including four children, died within 48 hours, officials said most of the people with signs of the illness were discharged after treatment.
"Doctors are still camping in the village. There is no report of further illness," Jatin Patnaik, chief district medical officer, told a news service.
Investigations were still on to determine the exact cause of the illness, he added.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Trump-Sharif conversation: Team Donald denies Pakistan's claims
- Rahul Gandhi's and Congress' Twitter accounts hacked: Who's behind it?
- Rahul Gandhi's Twitter handle hacked again
- DNA: Analysing how plastics are devastating our health silently
- Hizbul commander Musa issues threats of attacks in new video
- Gujarat businessman declares highest ever black money amount – Rs 13,000 crore!
- Army proves Mamata Banerjee wrong, releases letter showing West Bengal govt knew of exercise
- Rs 4.7 crore cash in Rs 2000 notes! Biggest seizure in new currency post demonetisation - What I-T recovered from Bengaluru, Chennai and Erode
- Manohar Parrikar exposes Mamata's attempt to politicise routine Army exercise in Kolkata
- Scam? 'Aam Aadmi Party using Delhi Transport Corporation to exchange Rs 500, Rs 1,000 notes'