Two policemen die after gunfight with Maoists
Bhubaneswar: Two policemen have been killed in a gunbattle with Maoists in Odisha`s Nuapada district, an official said on Saturday.
The gunbattle took place when the rebels ambushed a team of policemen on Friday in Sunabeda sanctuary area, about 550 km from state capital Bhubaneswar.
The policemen, who were returning home after routine patrol, retaliated.
"A district voluntary force personnel and a special police officer were killed," Inspector General of Police (Operation) Soumendra Priyadarshi told a news agency.
The Sunabeda sanctuary is located close to the Chhattisgarh border. Maoists have allegedly created a base inside the deep forest for the past several years.
The forces often face difficulties in operations as they need to trek seven to eight km to reach the interior areas.
The latest Maoist attack comes less than a week after a large number of tribals of the area held a meeting and announced to help police and wage war against left-wing extremists in the region.
Maoists are active in more than half of Odisha`s 30 districts. Sunabeda is considered one of their strongholds.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Indian Army conducts surgical strikes across LoC: Watch DGMO Lt Gen Ranbir Singh's PC
- Indian Army targets terror camps across LoC; Pak PM Sharif condemns
- 7 terror camps destroyed by Indian Army in surgical strikes
- DNA: Indian Army carries out surgical strikes across LoC
- Indian Army surgical strike: Pak rejects claim, says 2 soldiers killed
- Hafiz Saeed threatens Zee News, says Pak forces will teach what real surgical strikes are
- What is surgical strike and how it is conducted - MUST KNOW for every Indian
- LIVE: Five nations pull out of SAARC Summit to express solidarity with India over Uri attack
- SALUTE! Brave Indian army commandos give befitting reply to Pak-sponsored terrorists
- Surgical strikes across LoC in Pakistan were filmed, videos kept as proof