Two policemen die after gunfight with Maoists
Bhubaneswar: Two policemen have been killed in a gunbattle with Maoists in Odisha`s Nuapada district, an official said on Saturday.
The gunbattle took place when the rebels ambushed a team of policemen on Friday in Sunabeda sanctuary area, about 550 km from state capital Bhubaneswar.
The policemen, who were returning home after routine patrol, retaliated.
"A district voluntary force personnel and a special police officer were killed," Inspector General of Police (Operation) Soumendra Priyadarshi told a news agency.
The Sunabeda sanctuary is located close to the Chhattisgarh border. Maoists have allegedly created a base inside the deep forest for the past several years.
The forces often face difficulties in operations as they need to trek seven to eight km to reach the interior areas.
The latest Maoist attack comes less than a week after a large number of tribals of the area held a meeting and announced to help police and wage war against left-wing extremists in the region.
Maoists are active in more than half of Odisha`s 30 districts. Sunabeda is considered one of their strongholds.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Ganga river crosses danger mark in UP, Bihar and West Bengal
- NDMC issues notices to President's Estate for mosquito breeding
- DNA: Analysis of how Indian women's success in Olympics changed mindset of our society
- DNA: Analysis of how Indian women's success in Olympics changed mindset of our society- Part II
- DNA: Analysis of loss caused by floods in India
- Viral Video: Cheating man finds both girlfriends at same place, EXPOSED – See what happened next
- Xiaomi's smartphones sales in India up 72%
- Arun Jaitley may not read out new trains, lines after budget merger
- RBI launches Sept round of inflation expectation survey
- Women have emotionally more intense nightmares than men