Two school girls killed in wall collapse in Odisha
Bhubaneswar: Two minor girls were killed and one injured when the parapet of a hostel building of a government-run residential school collapsed in Odisha`s Kandhamal district, officials said on Monday.
The mishap occurred at the premises of Sevashram school at Bastingia, 230 km from state capital Bhubaneswar on Sunday when around 40 students were sitting on the verandah of the girls` hostel for meals.
The parapet which was in a dilapidated condition came crashing down on them leaving little scope for the victims to escape.
School authorities and local residents retrieved the victims from the debris within few minutes of the incident and rushed them to a hospital.
"Total three students of class 7th aged between 12-13 years were injured. While one of them died on the spot, another died on her way to the hospital. The condition of the third victim is stable and she is undergoing treatment," N Thirumala Naik, district collector, told a news agency.
The victims who died were identified as Sasmita Kanhar and Anupama Pradhan, Naik said.
The authorities have directed the concerned officials to verify the condition of all school buildings and hostels in the district and submit a report as soon as possible, he added.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- NT Awards 2016: Zeenews.com bags 'Best News Channel Website' honour
- Son of Kota Central jail prisoner clears IIT entrance exam
- Cabinet approves Act allowing malls, restaurants, theaters to stay open 24×7
- New framework that can predict terrorist attacks developed!
- Actor Irrfan Khan stirs controversy over statement on Ramadan rituals
- Spirituality helps you transform into a better human – Here’s how
- Mumbai architect receives Rs 5 crore extortion call from gangster Ravi Pujari
- 7th Pay Commission: Salary hike to boost demand in consumer durables sector
- 7th Pay Commission: Unions reject Centre's pay hike, threaten to go on strike
- It's a 'happy-sad feeling' for Anushka Sharma as 'Phillauri' shoot comes to an end!