UIDAI launches `Aadhaar` project in Orissa
Bhubaneswar: The Unique Identification
Authority of India (UIDAI) on Monday launched its Unique
Identification (UID) number project `Aadhaar` in Orissa.
All residents above the age group of one year shall be
enrolled in the project.
In a symbolic ceremony at Raj Bhawan, the state`s
first citizen Governor MC Bhandare was enrolled under the
project by Smart Chip Limited, an enrollment agency engaged by
State Bank of India which is acting as a registrar under the
`Aadhaar`, a project the government termed as the
"number for life", promises a dignified life to the poor in
the country. Once implemented, this unique scheme is expected
to change the social service delivery landscape forever
wherein all residents shall be identified through a capture of
essential demographics and biometrics such as fingers scan,
iris scan, digital photograph, etc.
The database of all residents of India shall be linked
with central and state government schemes which would benefit
all residents especially to people below poverty line by
identifying them and bringing them into the broader umbrella
of various government schemes.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Over 60 cadets killed in Pakistan police academy attack
- DNA: Exclusive report on the extreme sacrifices made by ITBP soldiers
- Watch: PM Narendra Modi's ''progressive'' remark on triple talaq
- DNA: Terrorists' new strategy of snatching weapons from Indian security personnel
- Panel discussion over delayed development in Ayodhya
- Explosion in Delhi's Naya Bazar, one killed; anti-terror wing, Special cell at spot
- This is why Cyrus Mistry was removed as Chairman of Tata Sons!
- WATCH: Akhilesh Yadav's emotional speech revealing the real reason behind Samajwadi Party crisis; he was about to cry
- Read letters by Ratan Tata to PM Narendra Modi and Group employees after Cyrus Mistry's ouster
- Prompt action on border pushes Pak to offer olive branch, says both sides need to 'formalise' 2003 ceasefire