Under trial tries to escape, gets caught in Odisha
Berhampur (Odisha): An under trial prisoner was arrested after making a vain attempt to escape from police custody by throwing chilli powder at Berhampur in Odisha`s Ganjam district, police said on Sunday.
Murder accused Manoj Samantaray alias Kanji of Shastri Nagar area in the town was in the court for trial when he tried to escape from police custody.
Manoj, who has been in the jail for the last two years in a murder case, was trying to run away after throwing chili powder on the police personnel, said Deepak Mishra, inspector-in-charge of Baidya Nathpur police station.
Policemen, however, chased and captured him within minutes, he said. Efforts were on to ascertain as to how the undertrial procured chili powder.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Jawaharlal Nehru's Wikipedia page edited from govt IP address; Congress seeks PM Modi's reply
- Check JEE (Main) 2015 rank on www.jeemain.nic.in, cbseresults.nic.in
- No liberal approach, mediation or compromise in rape cases: Supreme Court
- Lalitgate: Centre denies deal with Congress over Sushma Swaraj, Vasundhara Raje
- Lalitgate: BJP helping fugitives, law breakers; PM Modi doing 'Maun Yoga', alleges Congress