Under trial tries to escape, gets caught in Odisha
Berhampur (Odisha): An under trial prisoner was arrested after making a vain attempt to escape from police custody by throwing chilli powder at Berhampur in Odisha`s Ganjam district, police said on Sunday.
Murder accused Manoj Samantaray alias Kanji of Shastri Nagar area in the town was in the court for trial when he tried to escape from police custody.
Manoj, who has been in the jail for the last two years in a murder case, was trying to run away after throwing chili powder on the police personnel, said Deepak Mishra, inspector-in-charge of Baidya Nathpur police station.
Policemen, however, chased and captured him within minutes, he said. Efforts were on to ascertain as to how the undertrial procured chili powder.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Trouble mounts for Salman Khan as driver reiterates that actor killed blackbuck
- PM Modi to chair NITI aayog meeting today
- Narsingh Yadav dope scandal: NADA set to announce verdict today
- Protests in Kashmir were fuelled by LeT: Hafiz Saeed
- Cabinet approves changes to GST Bill, drops 1% additional tax
- Union Home Minister Rajnath Singh to visit Pakistan in August for SAARC meet
- Dope scandal: Narsingh Yadav's Rio Olympics fate hangs in balance as NADA set to pronounce verdict today
- Indo-US counter-terrorism joint working group to meet today
- Hillary Clinton more qualified than anyone to serve as US president: Barack Obama
- Rahul Gandhi likely to speak on price rise in Lok Sabha today