Union Budget won’t ensure food security: Naveen
Bhubaneswar: Terming the Union Budget 2013-14 as "totally disappointing", Odisha Chief Minister Naveen Patnaik on Thursday alleged there is no significant policy intervention to revive growth in the economy, tackle inflation and ensure food security for the poor.
"It has bypassed the developmental needs of the people of Odisha. The budget contains no significant allocation for the development of the farm sector," Patnaik said in his reaction over the budget.
Stating that the budget does not have any special measure to contain inflation which is seriously hurting the `Aam Admi`, Patnaik said it was "unfortunate that allocation for Accelerated Irrigation Benefit Programme (AIBP) has been drastically curtailed in the revised estimates of the current financial year and in the budget estimates for 2013-14".
"The budgetary allocation for implementation of the Food Security Bill is grossly inadequate," Patnaik said adding that it will only remain as an expression of intent without any commitment.
The budgetary allocation for Central Assistance to State Plan has been drastically reduced in the revised estimates and only marginally increased in the budget estimates for 2013-14, he pointed out.
Expressing concern over centre`s attitude towards states, Patnaik said, "unfortunately full provision has not been made for CST compensation to States".
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Watch: PM Narendra Modi addressing rally in Imphal
- Will Shiv Sena join hands with Congress to stop BJP from entering BMC?
- Report: Are mobile smartphones more unhygienic than toilet seats?
- Delhi: Three-year-old twins die after falling into washing machine in Rohini
- BSF catches cow slaughter gang near India-Bangladesh border in Malda
- Ind vs Aus: Mohammed Azharuddin says Jayant Yadav and Ishant Sharma should be replaced in next Test
- WATCH: Kieron Pollard's epic celebration after destroying Lahore Qalandars in Dubai
- Indian doctor rescued from ISIS recounts horror, says 'they forced me to watch videos, shot me thrice'
- Mitchell Johnson takes a dig at Anil Kumble over calling Steve O'Keefe 'steady'
- India vs Australia, 1st Test, Day 3: As it happened...