Union Budget won’t ensure food security: Naveen
Bhubaneswar: Terming the Union Budget 2013-14 as "totally disappointing", Odisha Chief Minister Naveen Patnaik on Thursday alleged there is no significant policy intervention to revive growth in the economy, tackle inflation and ensure food security for the poor.
"It has bypassed the developmental needs of the people of Odisha. The budget contains no significant allocation for the development of the farm sector," Patnaik said in his reaction over the budget.
Stating that the budget does not have any special measure to contain inflation which is seriously hurting the `Aam Admi`, Patnaik said it was "unfortunate that allocation for Accelerated Irrigation Benefit Programme (AIBP) has been drastically curtailed in the revised estimates of the current financial year and in the budget estimates for 2013-14".
"The budgetary allocation for implementation of the Food Security Bill is grossly inadequate," Patnaik said adding that it will only remain as an expression of intent without any commitment.
The budgetary allocation for Central Assistance to State Plan has been drastically reduced in the revised estimates and only marginally increased in the budget estimates for 2013-14, he pointed out.
Expressing concern over centre`s attitude towards states, Patnaik said, "unfortunately full provision has not been made for CST compensation to States".
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- UP polls: Top 5 highlights of PM Modi's speech in Bahraich
- NASA discovers seven Earth-like planets orbiting a single star
- Is Samajwadi Party-Congress alliance just a compulsion for Akhilesh Yadav?
- BMC election results 2017: Shiv Sena ahead as single largest party
- UP polls: When fans played spoilsport for SP star campaigner Dimple Yadav
- Reliance Jio Vs Airtel free data plan: A comparison
- BMC election 2017 results: As it happened
- How Kashmiris use children for 'meri jaan Pakistan' type 'freedom struggle' - WATCH
- WATCH: When Matthew Renshaw left everybody surprised by 'retiring ill' on Day 1 of India-England Test
- Maharashtra Civic Poll Results 2017: As it happened on Thursday