Union Budget won’t ensure food security: Naveen
Bhubaneswar: Terming the Union Budget 2013-14 as "totally disappointing", Odisha Chief Minister Naveen Patnaik on Thursday alleged there is no significant policy intervention to revive growth in the economy, tackle inflation and ensure food security for the poor.
"It has bypassed the developmental needs of the people of Odisha. The budget contains no significant allocation for the development of the farm sector," Patnaik said in his reaction over the budget.
Stating that the budget does not have any special measure to contain inflation which is seriously hurting the `Aam Admi`, Patnaik said it was "unfortunate that allocation for Accelerated Irrigation Benefit Programme (AIBP) has been drastically curtailed in the revised estimates of the current financial year and in the budget estimates for 2013-14".
"The budgetary allocation for implementation of the Food Security Bill is grossly inadequate," Patnaik said adding that it will only remain as an expression of intent without any commitment.
The budgetary allocation for Central Assistance to State Plan has been drastically reduced in the revised estimates and only marginally increased in the budget estimates for 2013-14, he pointed out.
Expressing concern over centre`s attitude towards states, Patnaik said, "unfortunately full provision has not been made for CST compensation to States".
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Rajasthan: Gujjars revive reservation agitation, block rail track
- J Jayalalithaa sworn-in as Chief Minister of Tamil Nadu
- Dr Subhash Chandra Show: Aspiring for more than what you have!
- ISIS to buy first nuclear weapon from Pak?
- Mumbai: CCTV captures assailant with gun at Film City
- Mathura SSP receives death threat letter, message for PM Modi
- BJP now central pole of Indian politics: Arun Jaitley
- Maharashtra FDA sends Maggi noodles for lab testing
- Watch: Fast N Facts @ 7:30pm
- Haridwar: Hotel Radisson Blu sealed for polluting Ganga
- Delhi: Two killed in road accident in New Ashok Nagar
- Girl in Punjab's Pathankot quit studies for fear of eve-teasing
- Special: Furious over rising water crisis, people take to the streets
- Reservation issue: Police register case against Bainsla, 20 others
- Fiji: Floating island restaurant in middle of ocean
- Goa Board SSC Exam Results 2015 announced
- Rahul Gandhi to pressurise govt to act on one-rank-one-pension issue
- ISIS close to buying nuclear weapon from Pakistan?
- Manohar Parrikar visits forward areas along LoC, reviews security situation
- Credibility of Prime Minister's Office restored by BJP, says Arun Jaitley
- There will be no delay in appointing CIC, CVC: Jitendra Singh
- ISIS justifies raping slave girls, says Michelle Obama is 'worth $40'
- Arvind Kejriwal to highlight AAP govt's 100 days work on Monday
- 'Unhappy' Celina Jaitley asks Sunny Leone to move out?
- BJP's plan for one-year celebration: 200 big rallies, 5,000 public meetings
- IPL 2015 Final: Mumbai Indians vs Chennai Super Kings - Preview
- Heatwave leaves 153 dead in Telangana, Andhra Pradesh
- CBSE Results 2015: 10th board exam results to be declared on May 27
- IPL 8 Final: We need to be at our best against Mumbai, says Michael Hussey
- Jayalalithaa returns as Tamil Nadu CM: As it happened