Union minister holds Odisha CM responsible for teacher`s death
Jajpur (Odisha): Union Minister Srikant Jena on Tuesday sought a CBI probe into the death of a woman teacher in Odisha`s Rayagada, who was allegedly torched for refusing to withdraw a molestation case against her senior, and also blamed Chief Minister Naveen Patnaik for the death.
"Patnaik cannot evade responsibility for the death of lady teacher. Though the victim had named four people including him (of being responsible for the circumstances leading to her death), police is yet to take any legal action," Jena claimed at a gathering of women to commemorate 96th birth anniversary of former prime minister Indira Gandhi at Duburi in Jajpur district.
"It is unfortunate that the victim in her statement, which is actually like a dying declaration under Section 32 of the Indian Evidence Act, had also named the person who holds the home department..." said the union chemicals and fertiliser minister.
The death of the lady teacher sparked public outcry not only in the state, but outside and it will not calm down until and unless all the culprits are put behind bars, Jena said.
Claiming that the state DGP was also named by the lady teacher, Jena regretted that no police action has been taken against the other accused persons like Koraput MP and BJD leader Jairam Pangi and the Koraput district collector.
He demanded the case should be investigated by a central agency like CBI as powerful figures are named in the case.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- DNA: Beaten by mob in Kolkata, US NRI vows never to return in India
- When will democracy get freedom from dynasty politics?
- Delhi: Taxi driver dies as BMW rams into car near IIT
- DNA: Has bad time started for American 'media' after Donald Trump became US President?
- DNA: Analyzing the role of Netaji Subhash Chandra Bose in Indian Independence
- WATCH: Epic Staredown between Goldberg, The Undertaker and Brock Lesnar at WWE Raw
- Jallikattu stir: As it happened on Monday
- Naresh Agrawal breaks silence on leaving Akhilesh Yadav-led Samajwadi Party and joining BJP
- International Space Station – When, where and how to spot ISS
- Reliance Jio impact: Bharti Airtel Q3 net profit dips 54% to Rs 503.7 crore