Union minister holds Odisha CM responsible for teacher`s death
Jajpur (Odisha): Union Minister Srikant Jena on Tuesday sought a CBI probe into the death of a woman teacher in Odisha`s Rayagada, who was allegedly torched for refusing to withdraw a molestation case against her senior, and also blamed Chief Minister Naveen Patnaik for the death.
"Patnaik cannot evade responsibility for the death of lady teacher. Though the victim had named four people including him (of being responsible for the circumstances leading to her death), police is yet to take any legal action," Jena claimed at a gathering of women to commemorate 96th birth anniversary of former prime minister Indira Gandhi at Duburi in Jajpur district.
"It is unfortunate that the victim in her statement, which is actually like a dying declaration under Section 32 of the Indian Evidence Act, had also named the person who holds the home department..." said the union chemicals and fertiliser minister.
The death of the lady teacher sparked public outcry not only in the state, but outside and it will not calm down until and unless all the culprits are put behind bars, Jena said.
Claiming that the state DGP was also named by the lady teacher, Jena regretted that no police action has been taken against the other accused persons like Koraput MP and BJD leader Jairam Pangi and the Koraput district collector.
He demanded the case should be investigated by a central agency like CBI as powerful figures are named in the case.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Exclusive chat with Ranchi's visually challenged singer Tumpa Kumari
- DNA: Growing Russia-China ties a concern for India
- Kailash Vijayvargiya on Akshay Singh's death: Is a journalist bigger than me?
- Woman set ablaze in UP, Akhilesh orders magisterial probe
- Waterlogging, traffic jams in Delhi after rains
- Shahid Kapoor-Mira Rajput wedding: Check out their first picture as a couple!
- Shahid Kapoor marriage: 500 guests have been invited for the wedding, says card designer
- Vyapam scam: After over 45 deaths, can Shivraj Singh Chouhan resist CBI probe?
- Vyapam scam: Congress accuses MP CM of 'misleading' people, demands his resignation
- No bomb found on Turkish Airlines flight which made emergency landing in Delhi