Union minister holds Odisha CM responsible for teacher`s death
Jajpur (Odisha): Union Minister Srikant Jena on Tuesday sought a CBI probe into the death of a woman teacher in Odisha`s Rayagada, who was allegedly torched for refusing to withdraw a molestation case against her senior, and also blamed Chief Minister Naveen Patnaik for the death.
"Patnaik cannot evade responsibility for the death of lady teacher. Though the victim had named four people including him (of being responsible for the circumstances leading to her death), police is yet to take any legal action," Jena claimed at a gathering of women to commemorate 96th birth anniversary of former prime minister Indira Gandhi at Duburi in Jajpur district.
"It is unfortunate that the victim in her statement, which is actually like a dying declaration under Section 32 of the Indian Evidence Act, had also named the person who holds the home department..." said the union chemicals and fertiliser minister.
The death of the lady teacher sparked public outcry not only in the state, but outside and it will not calm down until and unless all the culprits are put behind bars, Jena said.
Claiming that the state DGP was also named by the lady teacher, Jena regretted that no police action has been taken against the other accused persons like Koraput MP and BJD leader Jairam Pangi and the Koraput district collector.
He demanded the case should be investigated by a central agency like CBI as powerful figures are named in the case.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- DNA: Complete analysis of APJ Abdul Kalam's life and achievements
- 6 leaders were in contact with Dawood Ibrahim till 26/11: Report
- Rameswaram waits to give final salute to Dr Abdul Kalam
- Last rites of Gurdaspur attack martyr Baljit Singh in Kapurthala
- SC order on Yakub Memon huge disappointment, setback: Owaisi
- APJ Abdul Kalam's funeral to be held in Rameswaram; PM Modi to attend
- LIVE: Yakub Memon buried in Mumbai; Rajnath says he got chance to express views in all forums
- Has President Pranab Mukherjee rejected Yakub Memon's mercy plea?
- SC refuses stay on Yakub Memon's hanging: As it happened
- 2 NDA, 4 UPA leaders were in contact with Dawood Ibrahim before 26/11: Report