Uproar in Odisha Assembly over dowry charge against minister
Bhubaneswar: The Odisha Assembly was on Friday stalled over the resignation of Raghunath Mohanty as Law and Urban Development Minister, accused in dowry case, as Congress MLAs stormed into the well demanding his arrest.
As soon as the House assembled for the day, Opposition Congress members were on their toes demanding a statement by Chief Minister Naveen Patnaik on the matter involving an FIR registered against Mohanty following allegation of dowry torture levelled by his daughter-in-law.
With uproarious scenes persisting, Speaker Pradip Kumar Amat adjourned the House till 11:30 am.
When the House reassembled, the Chief Minister in a statement informed the members that the case against Mohanty has been handed over to the Human Rights Protection Cell for investigation.
Patnaik said Mohanty tendered his resignation on moral grounds consequent upon registration of FIR at Balasore to ensure free and fair investigation.
Congress legislators were up in arms after Chief Minister`s statement with party MLA S S Saluja asking the government to clearly spell out the steps being taken.
Saluja said Mohanty should be arrested if the charges against him are found correct. In case the allegations are false, appropriate action must be initiated against the complainant, he said.
Describing the developments as unfortunate, BJD MLA and former minister Pradip Maharathy said there was no need to discuss the sensitive issue in the House in details.
As leader of opposition Bhupinder Singh and Congress chief whip Prasad Harichandan were not given an opportunity to speak on the matter, Congress members trooped into the well shouting slogans and demanding Mohanty`s arrest.
Congress members also wanted to know as to why the case was handed over to human rights protection cell.
Amid din, the House was first adjourned till 12.45 pm and then up to 3 pm due to uproar.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Kalam's advisor recalls his last moments with the great scientist
- To Sir with Love: School kids pay tribute to Dr Kalam
- DNA: Complete analysis of APJ Abdul Kalam's life and achievements
- India mourns APJ Abdul Kalam; PM to receive body at Palam airport
- Kalam's body flown to Delhi; PM, Prez lead nation in paying homage
- When UN declared Dr APJ Abdul Kalam's 79th birthday as World Students' Day
- SC hearing on 1993 Mumbai blasts convict Yakub Memon's curative plea
- India's 'original rocket man': Abdul Kalam's phenomenal contribution to Science
- Parliament pays tributes to Dr APJ Abdul Kalam, calls him 'real gem' of India
- Ready to see Shah Rukh-Salman together on-screen?