Uproar in Odisha Assembly over semi-nude protest on Posco site
Bhubaneswar: Terming semi-nude protest by some women during anti-Posco agitation as `unfortunate`, the Odisha government on Friday expressed concern over support from certain political parties and NGOs to such activities.
Health and family welfare minister Damodar Rout told the Assembly that it was unfortunate that some women stripped while protesting against work in the POSCO site yesterday.
He regretted that some political parties and NGOs were supporting such agitation without understanding the ground reality.
Rout, who also holds small and medium enterprises portfolio, hails from Posco`s proposed plant site in Jagatsinghpur district and has been an MLA for about 20 years.
He told PTI outside the Assembly, "Innocent women were instigated by certain vested interest groups to strip during the protest yesterday."
Rout held five political parties CPI, CPI-M, Forward Bloc, RJD and Samajwadi Party responsible for the anti-Posco agitation since 2005.
"The government is acquiring its own land in illegal possession of certain villagers and not an inch of private land is being acquired," he pointed out.
When contacted, Jagatsinghpur Collector SK Mallick said that some mischief-mongers were behind the incident, but the women were chased away before they could stage nude protest.
Police sources in Jagatsinghpur district said a handful of elderly women while being chased away from the prohibited area tried to disrobe in public.
While POSCO heat was felt inside the Assembly, a report from Paradip said there was no activity at the plant site. Neither was there land acquisition, nor protestors staged any demonstration, official sources said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Reservation issue: Police register case against Bainsla, 20 others
- Zee Media exclusive chat with 'Welcome to Karachi' cast
- Zee Media exclusive interview with Haryana CM Manohar Lal Khattar
- UP Minister allegedly threatens, abuses Gonda businessman
- Manali: Heavy corruption found in environmental taxes
- Aapke Sitare: Astro prediction for May 24, 2015
- Watch: Fast N Facts @ 7:30pm
- Five unmanned parachutes spotted over Mumbai airport
- UP: Jammu-bound Muri Express derails in Kaushambi
- One year of Modi govt: How satisfied is the common man?
- Jaipur girl Mini Rajpal wins Miss India Deaf 2015!
- Mumbai architecture creates double decker bus from scrap!
- One year of Modi govt: How satisfied is the common man? Part-2
- Dawood's intercepted phone calls prove yet again he is in Pakistan
- CBSE Board Class 12th Exam Results 2015 declared
- IPL 2015 Final: MI vs CSK - As it happened...
- Heatwave continues in North India; death toll in Andhra Pradesh, Telangana more than 400
- IPL 2015 final: Mumbai Indians thrash Chennai Super Kings by 41 runs to lift second title
- Check cbseresults.nic.in for CBSE Class 12 result 2015
- Kejriwal completes 100 days in office, AAP says centre 'shadow boxing' over row with LG
- Heatwave claims over 550 lives so far, Delhi saw hottest day
- Online filing of applications for UPSC civil services exam begins
- Not just today, Muslims feeling alienated since 1947: Najma Heptulla
- Mathura rally: PM Modi slams 'corrupt' UPA regime, lauds NDA govt's efforts in past one year
- CBSE Class 12 results out: Here's how you can check
- Pakistan criticizes Defence Minister Parrikar's terrorism remarks
- Two dead, over 100 injured as Muri Express derails in UP; Prabhu announces Rs 2 lakhs ex-gratia for kin of dead