Uproar in Odisha Assembly over semi-nude protest on Posco site
Bhubaneswar: Terming semi-nude protest by some women during anti-Posco agitation as `unfortunate`, the Odisha government on Friday expressed concern over support from certain political parties and NGOs to such activities.
Health and family welfare minister Damodar Rout told the Assembly that it was unfortunate that some women stripped while protesting against work in the POSCO site yesterday.
He regretted that some political parties and NGOs were supporting such agitation without understanding the ground reality.
Rout, who also holds small and medium enterprises portfolio, hails from Posco`s proposed plant site in Jagatsinghpur district and has been an MLA for about 20 years.
He told PTI outside the Assembly, "Innocent women were instigated by certain vested interest groups to strip during the protest yesterday."
Rout held five political parties CPI, CPI-M, Forward Bloc, RJD and Samajwadi Party responsible for the anti-Posco agitation since 2005.
"The government is acquiring its own land in illegal possession of certain villagers and not an inch of private land is being acquired," he pointed out.
When contacted, Jagatsinghpur Collector SK Mallick said that some mischief-mongers were behind the incident, but the women were chased away before they could stage nude protest.
Police sources in Jagatsinghpur district said a handful of elderly women while being chased away from the prohibited area tried to disrobe in public.
While POSCO heat was felt inside the Assembly, a report from Paradip said there was no activity at the plant site. Neither was there land acquisition, nor protestors staged any demonstration, official sources said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Delhi Police arrests AAP MLA in the middle of press conference
- Pak grants 91-year-old Indian's last wish - a trip to his ‘ancestral home’
- Bihar: Acid attack on girl in Aurangabad district, victim critical
- MP: Dalit families migrating from village due to hooligans
- Is there any political clash between Akhilesh Yadav and Shivpal Yadav?
- US Senator praises NSG after India failed to get membership
- England vs Sri Lanka, 2nd ODI: Alex Hales, Jason Roy power hosts to crushing win
- Tri-Nation series: Darren Bravo, Shannon Gabriel help West Indies topple South Africa
- China renews yellow alert for heat wave
- Navjot Singh Sidhu gets place in Punjab BJP core committee, Anil Joshi out