Uproar in Orissa Assembly over horse-trading in RS polls
Bhubaneswar: The Orissa Assembly was Tuesday adjourned twice on the first day of the monsoon session following an uproar over alleged horse-trading by the ruling BJD in the just concluded Rajya Sabha polls.
As soon as the Question Hour began, senior Congress leaders, including Leader of Opposition Bhupinder Singh and party chief whip Prasad Harichandan, wanted the House to take up an adjournment motion on alleged irregularities in June 17 Rajya Sabha polls.
Several Congress legislators trooped into the well raising slogans against the ruling BJD and accusing it of winning all the three Rajya Sabha seats by adopting unfair means and using money power. They alleged that three opposition MLAs abstained from the biennial elections due to foul play.
As the BJP members also stood up in support of the assault on the BJD government, some Congress MLAs were seen attempting to climb the Speaker`s table.
When repeated pleas for order in the House went unheeded, Speaker Pradip Amat first adjourned the House for an hour. After it reassembled, the House was again adjourned till 5 pm as the members were unrelenting.
Congress MLAs Shibaji Majhi and Gregory Minz from Lanjigarh and Rajgangpur, respectively, and BJP legislator from Bonai, Bhimsen Choudhury had abstained from voting in Rajya Sabha polls defying their party whips.
Harichandan told reporters outside the House that the BJD "hijacked all the three Rajya Sabha seats by horse-trading and irregular methods" and the Assembly must discuss the matter through an adjournment motion.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Highlights - India vs England 2nd ODI in Cuttack
- Missed the dance of American President Donald Trump? - Watch it here
- DNA: Manish Sisodia faces CBI probe over alleged irregularities in 'Talk To AK' programme
- Pawan, a BE student develops smart dustbin -Watch
- Donald Trump to be sworn in as 45th US President today
- WATCH: MS Dhoni asks Jasprit Bumrah to go easy after he hurriedly ran out England skipper Eoin Morgan
- Accused of Muslim-bias on visa applications, Sushma Swaraj hits back
- WATCH: How MS Dhoni saved Yuvraj Singh's wicket with another successful DRS review
- Cuttack ODI: Umpire Kumar Dharmasena messes up DRS review, twitter couldn't stop trolling
- India vs England: After Virender Sehwag, Sachin Tendulkar gives Piers Morgan cricketing gyan