Vedanta scam: Guv nod sought for CM`s prosecution
Bhubaneswar: A trade union leader here has
sought Orissa Governor M C Bhandare`s sanction for prosecution
of Chief Minister Naveen Patnaik in wake of the Lokpal report
on the controversial Vedanta University project in Puri.
Dwarika Mohan Mishra, who had filed the complaint with the
Lokpal against the Vedanta project, said, "I have written to
the governor urging him to accord sanction under Prevention of
Corruption Act for enabling suitable legal proceedings against
the chief minister."
"The governor should take cognisance of the special report
submitted by the Lokpal" which, according to Mishra, said "the
state government is ignorant about the law."
The Lokpal had submitted a report to the government on
March 17, 2010, over the `illegal` land acquisition for the Rs
15,000 crore university project by Anil Agarwal Foundation, a
sister concern of the Vedanta Group.
Lokpal Justice P K Patra had objected to the manner in
which the state government acquired land of Lord Jagannath and
some private persons for the company. It also recommended
action against some bureaucrats in the Chief Minister`s Office
who allegedly violated laws to favour the project`s promoters.
Apparently displeased with the government`s action taken
report submitted with the Lokpal in June 2010, Justice Patra
sent a special report to Bhandare on May 3 this year.
Orissa High Court had quashed land acquisition for the
university project in November 2010 terming it illegal and
directed the state government to return land to their owners.
The state government had acquired 3495.21 acres private
land and leased out another 509.27 acres of government land to
the company for the purpose.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Watch: How Russian special forces Spetsnaz will end terror of ISIS
- Panel discussion on BJP MLAs assaulting legislator Rashid inside J&K Assembly
- Two J&K MLAs clash over beef party issue in Legislative Assembly
- Arvind Kejriwal takes U-turn on water promise, says BJP
- PM Modi breaks silence on Dadri lynching incident
- Latest condition of Navjot Singh Sidhu: Sherry Paaji making steady recovery!
- Rahul Gandhi takes potshot at PM Narendra Modi's fashion sense - Watch
- Bihar has to choose between 'jungle raj' and 'vikas Raj': Narendra Modi
- FIR against Asaduddin Owaisi for posting objectionable picture of Yogi Adityanath on Facebook
- Salman Khan's songs: Best five!