Vedanta scam: Guv nod sought for CM`s prosecution
Bhubaneswar: A trade union leader here has
sought Orissa Governor M C Bhandare`s sanction for prosecution
of Chief Minister Naveen Patnaik in wake of the Lokpal report
on the controversial Vedanta University project in Puri.
Dwarika Mohan Mishra, who had filed the complaint with the
Lokpal against the Vedanta project, said, "I have written to
the governor urging him to accord sanction under Prevention of
Corruption Act for enabling suitable legal proceedings against
the chief minister."
"The governor should take cognisance of the special report
submitted by the Lokpal" which, according to Mishra, said "the
state government is ignorant about the law."
The Lokpal had submitted a report to the government on
March 17, 2010, over the `illegal` land acquisition for the Rs
15,000 crore university project by Anil Agarwal Foundation, a
sister concern of the Vedanta Group.
Lokpal Justice P K Patra had objected to the manner in
which the state government acquired land of Lord Jagannath and
some private persons for the company. It also recommended
action against some bureaucrats in the Chief Minister`s Office
who allegedly violated laws to favour the project`s promoters.
Apparently displeased with the government`s action taken
report submitted with the Lokpal in June 2010, Justice Patra
sent a special report to Bhandare on May 3 this year.
Orissa High Court had quashed land acquisition for the
university project in November 2010 terming it illegal and
directed the state government to return land to their owners.
The state government had acquired 3495.21 acres private
land and leased out another 509.27 acres of government land to
the company for the purpose.
Download the all new Zee News app for Android and iOS to stay up to date with latest headlines and news stories in Politics, Entertainment, Sports, Technology, Business and much more from India and around the world.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Delhi police arrests BSF personnel, ISI operative for espionage
- Maharashtra: Shani Shignapur temple purifies after woman offers oil
- Panel discussion on P Chidambaram's remarks over ban on 'The Satanic Verses'
- What is the motive behind 'unconditional talks' offer by Pakistan?
- Special report: Kashmiri Pandits recall their plight
- Video: India won't tolerate disrespect to national anthem – this Mumbai family learnt it the hard way
- Watch: Boy dies after falling from a Mumbai local train – video maker is guilty too!
- Had Sardar Patel become PM, India would have been another Pakistan, says Kancha Ilaiah
- Shocking! World Cup winning cricketer forced to sell 'kachoris' to make a living
- Watch: ISIS terrorist blown into pieces while bragging about his previous victory