Vigilance fails to file status report on coal scam probe
Cuttack: Orissa Vigilance Directorate currently probing the multi-crore subsidized linkage coal scam today failed to submit the status report of their inquiry in
the High Court.
While adjudicating over a PIL in which CBI inquiry was sought into the scam, the HC had on September 16 asked the Vigilance Directorate to submit a status report. But when the case came up for hearing during the day, the counsel for the Directorate prayed for more time to file the report.
The division bench of Chief Justice V Gopalgowda and Justice Indrajit Mahanty allowed time to the Directorate and told its counsel to file the status report detailing the investigations made till date after the puja vacation. Nishikant Mishra, a HC advocate, had filed the PIL in June implicating at least seven persons, including Urban Development Minister Badri Narayan Patra and School and Mass Education Minister Pratap Jena as opposite parties.
Patra and Jena on different occasions had headed the Orissa Small Industries Corporation which handles subsidized linkage coal allotments to small-scale industries. The petitioner had also in the meantime submitted two more affidavits in the court stating Patra`s involvement in the scam and a version of the State vigilance director appending newspaper reports.
Mishra contended that while Orissa`s economy was very poor, a handful of politicians along with bureaucrats and businessmen were looting its mineral resources.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Is Akhilesh Yadav overlooking Muslims as Mulayam Singh alleged?
- DNA: Why did Navjot Singh Sidhu call BJP 'Kaikeyi’, Congress ‘Kaushalya’?
- 38-year-old arrested for ‘raping’ minors in Delhi; assaulted over 600 girls
- BJP announces 149 names in first list of candidates for UP elections
- DNA: Analysis of insensitivity shown by political leaders over rising poverty in India
- China State TV said that its troops can reach New Delhi in 48 hours in war scenario; Indians slay it with their replies
- China's NSG stand is neither fair nor transparent, says Defence Expert
- Bengaluru pips Silicon Valley to become world's most dynamic city
- Army orders modern helmets for jawans, can withstand bullets fired from short range
- WATCH: Dope-tainted Brock Lesnar causes carnage on return to WWE Raw ahead of Royal Rumble