Village head shot dead by Maoists in Odisha
Malkangiri: A village head was gunned down by Maoists at a remote village in Odisha`s Malkangiri district.
A group of heavily armed ultras called Ishwar Chandra Sodi, village head in Padia area, out of his house and shot him dead last evening in Kota Materu village, Malkangiri Superintendent of Police Akhileswar Singh said.
Though the exact reason behind the killing was yet to be ascertained, the red rebels apparently eliminated the village head as they suspected him to be functioning as an informer for the police, they said.
Police force had been sent to the remote forest area, about 40 km from here, and investigation was in progress, police said.
The killing came shortly after nine Maoists surrendered before the police in the Naxal-affected district.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Is Akhilesh Yadav overlooking Muslims as Mulayam Singh alleged?
- 24 dead after boat carrying 40 capsizes in river Ganga in Patna; many still missing
- My father wanted me to be a man of character: Navjot Singh Siddhu
- DNA: Why did Navjot Singh Sidhu call BJP 'Kaikeyi’, Congress ‘Kaushalya’?
- Dr Subhash Chandra Show: What characteristics define a true leader?
- Abhishek Bachchan reveals the moment when Aishwarya Rai said 'yes' to him
- India vs England, 1st ODI: As it happened...
- India vs England, 1st ODI: Ravichandran Aswhin steals the show with huge six — WATCH
- Petrol price hiked by 42 paisa per litre, diesel by Rs 1.03 a litre