Village head shot dead by Maoists in Odisha
Malkangiri: A village head was gunned down by Maoists at a remote village in Odisha`s Malkangiri district.
A group of heavily armed ultras called Ishwar Chandra Sodi, village head in Padia area, out of his house and shot him dead last evening in Kota Materu village, Malkangiri Superintendent of Police Akhileswar Singh said.
Though the exact reason behind the killing was yet to be ascertained, the red rebels apparently eliminated the village head as they suspected him to be functioning as an informer for the police, they said.
Police force had been sent to the remote forest area, about 40 km from here, and investigation was in progress, police said.
The killing came shortly after nine Maoists surrendered before the police in the Naxal-affected district.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- CBSE Class 10 (Class X Board) Result 2015 on cbse.nic.in, cbseresults.nic.in at 2 pm
- Hours after attacking NDA govt, Manmohan Singh meets PM Narendra Modi
- Check cbseresults.nic.in, cbse.in for CBSE Class 10 X Board Result at 2 pm
- GUJCET Results 2015 declared on gseb.org
- Centre moves SC against Delhi HC order on LG's powers; hearing on Friday