Village head shot dead by Maoists
Malkangiri (Odisha): A village head was gunned down by Maoists at a remote village in Odisha`s Malkangiri district.
A group of heavily armed ultras called Ishwar Chandra Sodi, village head in Padia area, out of his house and shot him dead on Monday evening in Kota Materu village, Malkangiri Superintendent of Police Akhileswar Singh said.
Though the exact reason behind the killing was yet to be ascertained, the red rebels apparently eliminated the village head as they suspected him to be functioning as an informer for the police, they said.
Police force had been sent to the remote forest area, about 40 km from here, and investigation was in progress, police said.
The killing came shortly after nine Maoists surrendered before the police in the Naxal-affected district.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Sheena murder: Trio to be taken to Raigad to re-construct crime scene
- Mikhail emailed sister Sheena Bora's resignation letter: Report
- DNA: 1965 Indo-Pak war- Analysis of India's victory and exposing Pakistan's lies
- Raksha Bandhan: Sushma Swaraj ties Rakhi to Venkaiah Naidu
- Shiv Sena announces award of 2 lakh for Hindu families with 5 kids
- Indrani's ex-husband Sanjeev Khanna confesses to police he was involved in Sheena's murder
- Women's hockey team seals Olympic spot after 36 years, creates history on Dhyan Chand's birthday
- Dawood, Hafiz Saeed to be in fix as US, India may join hands to nab them
- Sushma Swaraj ties rakhi to M Venkaiah Naidu
- Indrani Mukerjea's son Mikhail emailed Sheena Bora's resignation letter