Village where houses have no doors, windows
Kendrapara: A village in Odisha`s Kendrapara district has houses which have no doors and windows.
Sialia village has no doors and windows as residents of the village believe in the power of Goddess Kharakhai Thakurani to protect them from harm.
The village has also not recorded any theft or burglary for a long time, according to the local police.
No theft or burglary had been reported from the village for years together, Sub-divisional police officer, Pattamundai, Rama Chandra Goud said.
"However other criminal offences did take place," he said.
Many in adjacent villages, however, dismiss the unconventional practise as a superstition.
"We have faith in the Goddess. She is protecting us from all kinds of evils. Paying respect to her commands, we have constructed houses without doors and windows," Abhiram Rout, a villager, said.
Block Development Officer, Rajkanika, Basudev Mahari said that a few years ago a government agency bowing to the villagers` wishes had built a community hall that did not have a single door and window.
"When the carpenters tried to fix doors and windows to the asbestos-roofed structure, the local people objected. And we had to beat a retreat," Mahari said.
So deep-seated is their belief that the villagers find a link between the destruction of normal house and the death of its owner in flood and a divine curse, which occurred a long time back.
Though there are no doors in the houses, the villagers hang curtains on the doorways to keep the privacy intact, a villager Ramakanta Nayak said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Watch: Yogi Adityanath's first speech as Uttar Pradesh CM in Gorakhpur
- Shiv Sena MP Ravindra Gaikwad barred from flying after his assault on AI staffer
- What Hindu saints think about Ram Mandir issue?
- Yogi Adityanath to visit Gorakhpur for first time today after becoming UP CM
- Bikaner: 13-year-old schoolgirl raped by eight teachers
- WATCH: Skipper Virat Kohli carries drinks for Team India
- Know how to link your PAN card with Aadhaar card – Here is the step by step explanation
- Yogi Adityanath meets gang-rape survivor, who was forced to drink acid, at Lucknow hospital; two arrested
- Mohanlal's 'Manyam Puli' has a BREATHTAKING scene where TIGER attacks a boy! WATCH 'Pulimurugan' clip
- Kapil Sharma-Sunil Grover fight: Will it be a shutdown for 'The Kapil Sharma Show'?