Village where houses have no doors, windows
Kendrapara: A village in Odisha`s Kendrapara district has houses which have no doors and windows.
Sialia village has no doors and windows as residents of the village believe in the power of Goddess Kharakhai Thakurani to protect them from harm.
The village has also not recorded any theft or burglary for a long time, according to the local police.
No theft or burglary had been reported from the village for years together, Sub-divisional police officer, Pattamundai, Rama Chandra Goud said.
"However other criminal offences did take place," he said.
Many in adjacent villages, however, dismiss the unconventional practise as a superstition.
"We have faith in the Goddess. She is protecting us from all kinds of evils. Paying respect to her commands, we have constructed houses without doors and windows," Abhiram Rout, a villager, said.
Block Development Officer, Rajkanika, Basudev Mahari said that a few years ago a government agency bowing to the villagers` wishes had built a community hall that did not have a single door and window.
"When the carpenters tried to fix doors and windows to the asbestos-roofed structure, the local people objected. And we had to beat a retreat," Mahari said.
So deep-seated is their belief that the villagers find a link between the destruction of normal house and the death of its owner in flood and a divine curse, which occurred a long time back.
Though there are no doors in the houses, the villagers hang curtains on the doorways to keep the privacy intact, a villager Ramakanta Nayak said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- PM Modi speaks at Golden Jubilee celebrations of poet Dinkar’s works
- Vadodara: Policemen seen dancing with bar girls
- Coal scam: Naveen Jindal, Madhu Koda and others get bail
- DNA: IAF Mirage 2000 fighter plane lands successfully on Yamuna expressway
- One year of Modi govt: Arun Jaitley addresses press conference
- Zee Media Exclusive: Kangana, Madhavan talk about their film 'Tanu Weds Manu Returns'
- DNA: Osama documents show 'Indian brother in Madinah' financed al Qaeda
- ISIS executes Syrian fighter using anti-tank rocket launcher
- DNA: Harmful chemicals found in Maggi, Nestle India still in denial mode
- Zee Media Exclusive interview with Congress leader Kamal Nath
- CM Kejriwal shortlists 39 'unwanted' IAS officers in Delhi
- Columbia student takes rape-protest mattress to graduation
- Mumbai: One injured in shootout at Film City
- Delhi: Car catches fire after crash, one dead
- DNA: Modi-led NDA govt's hits and misses in one year
- Mumbai firm booked for denying Muslim MBA graduate job on religious grounds, probe ordered
- Jayalalithaa makes public appearance, meets Governor: As it happened
- `Piku` hits jackpot, does Rs 100 crore business worldwide
- Geelani's passport application incomplete, cannot be processed: MEA
- IPL 2015, Qualifier 2: CSK vs RCB - As it happened...
- India to soon have its own space shuttle!
- Kejriwal slams notification on LG's powers, says Modi running Delhi govt through back door
- WBBSE 10th Madhyamik Results 2015: West Bengal Board (wbbse.org & wbresults.nic.in) Class 10th Madhyamik Pariksha Results 2015 to be announced on May 22
- Don't know what will happen to my career, says Ranbir Kapoor
- Tanu Weds Manu Returns movie review: Brilliant execution, superb performance!
- Manohar Parrikar meets troops at Siachen base camp
- Wbbse.org 10th Madhyamik Pariksha Results 2015: West Bengal Board (wbresults.nic.in) Class 10th, WB MP Results 2015 to be announced today shortly
- Businessman shot next to Amitabh Bachchan's shooting location in Mumbai Film City
- British tourist masturbated at in Mumbai; Indian men apologise
- West Bengal Board (wbbse.org & wbresults.nic.in) Class 10th Madhyamik Pariksha (MP) Results 2015 to be announced today at 10 AM