Villagers cling to tree as boat capsizes in flood
Dhenkanal: At least eight people
had a narrow escape when the country boat in which they
were ferrying in the swirling flood waters of Brahmani
capsized in Orissa`s Dhenkanal district on Sunday, official
"All the occupants of the boat are safe. They have
been perched on a tree. Efforts are on to rescue them,"
Dhenkanal District Collector Bishnu Prasad Panda said.
The people were going from Kanka to Bainsia
under Gondia police station
with swollen Brahmani submerged adjacent areas when the boat
apparently hit some object and tilted before being toppled
over, he said.
However, the occupants, numbering about eight, managed
to swim to a tree and were found to be clinging to the
branches, the collector said quoting eyewitness.
The local `Tehsildar` rushed to the spot along with
fire brigade personnel to rescue the stranded.
Incessant rains in upper catchment of Brahmani had
triggerd flood situation inundating a large number of villages
in Orissa for past few days.
Download the all new Zee News app for Android and iOS to stay up to date with latest headlines and news stories in Politics, Entertainment, Sports, Technology, Business and much more from India and around the world.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- DNA: Exiled Kashmiri Pandits share their heart wrenching stories
- Basic ideals of Constitution are in danger: Sonia Gandhi
- PM Modi greets nation on occasion of first Constitution Day
- Manjula Vaghela's journey: From rag picker to head of a firm with Rs 1 cr turnover!
- Indian Army faces shortage of field firing ranges in J&K
- Woman commits suicide after heated discussion with husband over Aamir Khan's intolerance remark
- Intolerance issue: Those attacking me are only proving my point, says Aamir Khan – Read full statement
- Setback to Kejriwal-led AAP as MLA Akhilesh Tripathi arrested in riot case
- 10 interesting facts about Constitution which every Indian must know
- See pic: Genelia marks son's birthday!