Villagers cling to tree as boat capsizes in flood
Dhenkanal: At least eight people
had a narrow escape when the country boat in which they
were ferrying in the swirling flood waters of Brahmani
capsized in Orissa`s Dhenkanal district on Sunday, official
"All the occupants of the boat are safe. They have
been perched on a tree. Efforts are on to rescue them,"
Dhenkanal District Collector Bishnu Prasad Panda said.
The people were going from Kanka to Bainsia
under Gondia police station
with swollen Brahmani submerged adjacent areas when the boat
apparently hit some object and tilted before being toppled
over, he said.
However, the occupants, numbering about eight, managed
to swim to a tree and were found to be clinging to the
branches, the collector said quoting eyewitness.
The local `Tehsildar` rushed to the spot along with
fire brigade personnel to rescue the stranded.
Incessant rains in upper catchment of Brahmani had
triggerd flood situation inundating a large number of villages
in Orissa for past few days.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Indian Army conducts surgical strikes across LoC: Watch DGMO Lt Gen Ranbir Singh's PC
- Indian Army targets terror camps across LoC; Pak PM Sharif condemns
- 7 terror camps destroyed by Indian Army in surgical strikes
- Indian Army surgical strike: Pak rejects claim, says 2 soldiers killed
- Is it time for India to respond militarily to Pak terror instead of peace talks?
- What is surgical strike and how it is conducted - MUST KNOW for every Indian
- SALUTE! Brave Indian army commandos give befitting reply to Pak-sponsored terrorists
- Surgical strikes across LoC in Pakistan were filmed, videos kept as proof
- US NSA Susan Rice calls Ajit Doval, says 'expect Pakistan to take action against terror’