Villagers cling to tree as boat capsizes in flood
Dhenkanal: At least eight people
had a narrow escape when the country boat in which they
were ferrying in the swirling flood waters of Brahmani
capsized in Orissa`s Dhenkanal district on Sunday, official
"All the occupants of the boat are safe. They have
been perched on a tree. Efforts are on to rescue them,"
Dhenkanal District Collector Bishnu Prasad Panda said.
The people were going from Kanka to Bainsia
under Gondia police station
with swollen Brahmani submerged adjacent areas when the boat
apparently hit some object and tilted before being toppled
over, he said.
However, the occupants, numbering about eight, managed
to swim to a tree and were found to be clinging to the
branches, the collector said quoting eyewitness.
The local `Tehsildar` rushed to the spot along with
fire brigade personnel to rescue the stranded.
Incessant rains in upper catchment of Brahmani had
triggerd flood situation inundating a large number of villages
in Orissa for past few days.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Sheena was Indrani’s daughter from her previous marriage, not sister
- How justified is the violence in Gujarat over quota row?-Part 2
- Gujarat quota stir: Exclusive interview with Hardik Patel
- Gujarat quota stir: PM Modi appeals for peace
- Sheena Bora murder mystery: Eight questions which need to be answered
- I know why Indrani Mukherjea murdered my sister Sheena: Mikhail Bora
- Sheena Bora murder case: All that we know about Indrani Mukherjea
- Pregnant teen buried alive, wakes up in coffin
- Sheena Bora murder case: Indrani Mukherjea's former husband, Sanjeev Khanna, arrested by Mumbai Police
- 3rd Test: India vs Sri Lanka 2015 - Preview