Villagers kidnap 8 forest officials in Similipal
Baripada (Odisha): Eight more persons were taken hostage by irate villagers of the core area of Similipal National Park area today to press their demand for release of four persons arrested by the forest department on charges of poaching.
Regional Chief Conservator of Forest in charge of the Tiger Project in the National Park, Anup Nayak said of the eight abducted four are forest department workers and the four locals who are employed as protection assistants while they were on duty.
Residents of Gopinathpur, core area village in the national park in Odisha`s Mayurbhanj district had taken one forester and a protection assistant hostage yesterday.
Nayak said efforts were on to free all of them.
Police said the kidnapped forest officials and the protection assistants were kept at the village primary school and were being guarded by 200 villagers round the clock.
Meanwhile, the four arrested villagers were during the day produced at the sub-divisional judicial magistrate`s court at Karanjia which sent three of them to jail custody and acquitted one.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- There will be earthquake if I speak on demonetisation: Rahul Gandhi
- Opposition observes 'black day' to mark one month of demonetisation
- Zee Media Exclusive: A reality check on public opinion on notes ban!
- Panel discussion on the decision of demonetisation
- Watch shocking visuals - Speeding car rams pedestrians in Kolkata, 3 killed
- Yuvraj Singh-Hazel Keech Reception: MS Dhoni, Sourav Ganguly, Virender Sehwag attend lavish party — PHOTOS INSIDE
- Mongolia seeks India's financial aid, Chinese official media says it's 'insane'
- SC asks govt if demonetisation was confidential; to judge if policy unconstitutional
- Reliance Jio effect: Airtel offers free unlimited local and STD calls with 4G data at Rs 145
- OMG! Man punches Kangaroo in face to save dog – Watch video