Wanted man killed in police encounter in Odisha
Berhampur: A most wanted person allegedly involved with a series of heinous crimes in Ganjam district, was shot dead in an encounter with police at Bhaliakhai-Gamundi road, about 90 km from here on Sunday.
Twenty-seven-year-old Tiki Bisoi alias Debananda succumbed to bullet injuries at MKCG Medical College and Hospital during treatment, police said.
Bisoi had sustained gunshot injures on his both legs and right arm during the exchange of fires between police and him on late night of Saturday. He was first admitted at sub-divisional hospital, Bhanjangar and shifted to medical college later, sources said.
Described as the most wanted by the police and a "sharp-shooter" of Ganjam, police said Bisioi was allegedly involved in at least 15 various crimes including three murder, attempt to murder and dacoity cases. Of them at least nine cases were in Bhanjanagar police station, sources said.
Police said he was involved in the sensational murder of Khairaputi panchayat sarapanch Tilaka Bisoi last year and Toffan Bisoi in 2010 which had occurred in Bhanjanagar police station limits.
Police also recovered a pistol and at least three live ammunitions from his possession, said SP (Ganjam) Ashish Kumar Singh.
At least two of his associates who were with him during the encounter, could manage to escape from the spot by a motorbike, said sub-divisional police officer (SDPO) Bhanajnagar Ramesh Chandra Sethi.
They have been identified and police has intensified manhunt to nab them, police said.
SDPO said Bisoi first opened fire on the police party near Gamundi village while they were returning after conducting raids in Bhaliakhai area of the district. Police men retaliated and fired at least three rounds before nabbing an injured Bisoi, they said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Discussion over BJP's enormous victory in Maharashtra civic polls
- BMC elections 2017: Who will be the Mayor of Mumbai?
- Coimbatore: PM Narendra Modi unveils 112-foot tall bust of Lord Shiva
- Panel discussion on Farooq Abdullah's remark on terrorists
- Zee Media Exclusive: In conversation with BJP President Amit Shah
- BMC election 2017 results: As it happened
- Maharashtra Civic Poll Results 2017: As it happened on Thursday
- Mitchell Johnson takes a dig at Anil Kumble over calling Steve O'Keefe 'steady'
- IND vs AUS, 1st Test, Day 3: As it happened...
- BMC poll results: Shiv Sena approaches Congress for pact, party says 'not interested'