We believe in cooperation, not confrontation: Patnaik
Bhubaneswar: Shunning ruling BJD`s decade long allegation of negligence by the Centre, Odisha Chief Minister Naveen Patnaik on Monday said his government believes in cooperation and not confrontation.
"We do not believe in confrontation. We believe in cooperation. Our approach will be positive and constructive towards the Central Govenrment," Patnaik said while replying to the debate on the motion of thanks on Governor`s address to the opening session of the Assembly.
The state government hoped that the Centre would address the needs of the people of Odisha, Patnaik said adding "Our demand for Special Category status is based on the historic neglect Odisha has been inflicted upon continuously in the past."
Justifying Odisha`s demand for special category status, he said the state has faced the maxium natural calamities and disasters than any other state. "And everytime, a natural disaster hits the state, it consumes lot of resources to bring back normalcy," he said.
Citing the May 30 storm at the national capital region of Delhi, Patnaik said "15 days have passed and they still have a serious power emergency and it is understood that it may take another 15 days before normalcy is restored."
"Now, think of the management of Phailin and restoration of normalcy. The international accolades Odisha and in turn India has received in disaster management is testimony to the efforts of our opeople and the government. We will carry forward our governance in the same spirit and work towards a peaceful, properous and progressive Odisha," Patnaik said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- J&K: Suspected Pakistani spy arrested in Samba district
- DNA: Reporting on war against ISIS in Mosul
- Kerala: Medical college prohibits girls from wearing jeans, noisy ornaments
- Ramgopal Yadav writes letter to SP party workers after Akhilesh Yadav sacked Shivpal Yadav
- Ramgopal Yadav writes to SP workers after Akhilesh Yadav suspends Shivpal Yadav
- India vs New Zealand, 3rd ODI: As it happened...
- Samajwadi Party feud intensifies: Shivpal Yadav sacked, Ramgopal Yadav expelled - As it happened
- 'Ae Dil Hai Mushkil' row: Raj Thackeray says Rs 5 crore 'penance' for signing Pakistani artistes
- Kerala dress code row: 'Why not 'mundus' for men, if 'sarees' for women'
- PM Narendra Modi warns of 'surgical strikes' against black money, corruption