Wokers launch fresh blockade in Rourkela
Rourkela; Workers of a refractory unit
and their family members launched a fresh road blockade on
NH-23 at Lathikata near here on Sunday even as 224 arrested
persons, including Independent MLA George Tirkey, staged a
hunger strike in jail.
Two days after their road blockade was cleared by
police, about 300 Orind workers and family members again took
to the street with a fresh blockade on NH-23, Inspector
in-charge of Lathikata police station G C Sahu said.
Police personnel in strength have been sent to the
area to prevent any untoward situation and maintain law and
order, police said.
Meanwhile, the 224 persons, including Biramitrapur
legislator George Tirkey were forwarded to court and sent to
jail on judicial remand for two weeks, sources said adding
they had been arrested on Friday by police to clear the road.
Tirkey and others lodged in the special jail here have
launched a hunger strike inside the prison in support of the
demand for payment of wages to Orind workers for the last 14
months and payment of statutory benefit to retired, deceased
and resigned employees.
Jail Superintendent Sarangadhara Bhoi said Tirkey and
others refused to take food and threatened to observe fast
till their demand was fulfilled.
A lockout had been declared in May in the factory
where production had stopped several months ago with
workers claiming non-payment of wages and other dues for last
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Vyapam Scam: IMA president Sudhir Tiwari fears life threat
- Vyapam Scam: Mystery over journalist Akshay Singh's death continues
- Panel discussion on RSS's 'Muslim Rashtriya Manch' first Iftaar party
- Jhansi police launches ‘Citizen Cop’ android app
- MPs spend more than Rs 25 cr taxpayers' money on study tours: DNA reports
- Vyapam scam: MP medical college dean found dead in hotel, body sent for post-mortem
- Vyapam scam: Last rites of journalist Akshay Singh performed; MP CM assures of SIT probe
- Photographer captures International Space Station flying across moon
- PM Narendra Modi holds talks with Uzbek leader
- Chile stun Argentina to win first Copa America crown