Wokers launch fresh blockade in Rourkela
Rourkela; Workers of a refractory unit
and their family members launched a fresh road blockade on
NH-23 at Lathikata near here on Sunday even as 224 arrested
persons, including Independent MLA George Tirkey, staged a
hunger strike in jail.
Two days after their road blockade was cleared by
police, about 300 Orind workers and family members again took
to the street with a fresh blockade on NH-23, Inspector
in-charge of Lathikata police station G C Sahu said.
Police personnel in strength have been sent to the
area to prevent any untoward situation and maintain law and
order, police said.
Meanwhile, the 224 persons, including Biramitrapur
legislator George Tirkey were forwarded to court and sent to
jail on judicial remand for two weeks, sources said adding
they had been arrested on Friday by police to clear the road.
Tirkey and others lodged in the special jail here have
launched a hunger strike inside the prison in support of the
demand for payment of wages to Orind workers for the last 14
months and payment of statutory benefit to retired, deceased
and resigned employees.
Jail Superintendent Sarangadhara Bhoi said Tirkey and
others refused to take food and threatened to observe fast
till their demand was fulfilled.
A lockout had been declared in May in the factory
where production had stopped several months ago with
workers claiming non-payment of wages and other dues for last
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- BJP likely to form next govt in Bihar: Mulayam Singh
- Haryana minister Krishan Bedi mocks Modi's 'Swachh Bharat Abhiyan'
- Shiv Sena spills ink on ORF chairperson Sudheendra Kulkarni's face
- Bihar Polls: Lalu Yadav's controversial tweet against Karpoori Thakur and PM Modi
- Hafiz Saeed teaching terrorism to children in Pakistan
- ISL 2015: Atletico de Kolkata vs Kerala Blasters - Preview
- Aarushi Talwar's grandfather breaks silence, writes open letter – Read
- 2015 Bihar Assembly Elections: 57% voting in first phase, women voters outnumber men
- Five ways to get pregnant fast!
- Bihar polls: Wave in favour of BJP, will form next government, says Mulayam Singh Yadav