Woman cop thrashed by Congress protesters; police demand action
Bhubaneswar: The Odisha Police Association (OPA) on Friday demanded the arrest of those who attacked the policemen yesterday during a protest over coal blocks allocation.
Thousands of Congress workers clashed with the police when they tried to gherao the Odisha Assembly in Bhubaneswar building demanding resignation of Chief Minister Naveen Patnaik over the coal scam leaving around 260 people including 60 police personnel injured.
The rampaging mob had badly beaten up a woman cop during the violence.
The Police Association has threatened protests if the attackers are not held within 48 hours. They have also demanded a judicial probe into the incident.
"Those involved in attacking and injuring the police personnel during the agitation by Congress here yesterday must be arrested immediately and strong action should be taken against them," OPA resident Sawarmal Sharma said.
The government should also order a judicial inquiry into the violent incident that took place on MG Road, Sharma said, adding the Crime Branch police should also investigate the incident.
"The criminal activities resorted to by the demonstrators in the name of agitation is deplorable," the OPA president said.
The Congress workers first defied prohibitory orders yesterday, and then broke through the barricades forcing the police to fire tear gas shells to try and control the situation.
The policewoman injured in the clash was deployed to guard a woman Congress leader. Images captured by local TV channels showed protestors beating the woman cop with bamboo sticks. She is currently recuperating at a local hospital in Bhubaneswar.
Chief Minister Naveen Patnaik condemned the violence. "Odisha is a peace-loving state and people are against violence," a statement released by his office said.
The Congress meanwhile said its workers were attacked by the police while protesting peacefully.
The Congress has called for another bandh on September 10 and demanded a judicial probe into "police excesses".
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Discussion on Rahul Gandhi's involvement in AgustaWestland chopper scam
- Discussion on Rahul Gandhi's involvement in AgustaWestland chopper scam - Part II
- Discussion on Rahul Gandhi's involvement in AgustaWestland chopper scam -Part III
- Discussion on Rahul Gandhi's involvement in AgustaWestland chopper scam - Part IV
- DNA : Why BJP is linking Rahul Gandhi to AgustaWestland scam
- Water woes: MNS activists vandalise irrigation office in Pune
- Hafiz Saeed says JuD won't allow Hindu temples in Pakistan to be destroyed
- Bangla SC to pronounce fate of Jamaat-e-Islami chief on May 5
- Singapore detains 8 Bangladeshis for alleged IS-related terror plot
- 3 percent quota for differently-abled, not implemented: Govt