Woman electrocuted, irate villagers lock up two employees in Odisha

A woman was electrocuted when a live wire fell on her at a village road in Ganjam district, after which angry villagers locked two employees of the power distribution company.

PTI| Last Updated: Oct 26, 2015, 15:37 PM IST

Berhampur: A woman was electrocuted when a live wire fell on her at a village road in Ganjam district, after which angry villagers locked two employees of the power distribution company.

 Jhilli Badataya (29) was electrocuted while she was returning after taking bath in the village pond and the electric wire fell on her yesterday, police said.

 She was declared brought dead when family members rushed her to the nearby Digapahandi hospital, they said.

 Villagers blamed the energy department officials for the incident and locked up two employees - a lineman and a helper of 'Southco'in a room for several hours at Goutami.

 They also filed a case against the concerned executive engineer at Berhampur Sadara police station and demanded his immediate arrest.

 Situation became normal after Southco officials promised to provide assistance to the kith of the deceased and gave Rs 10,000 for immediate compensation, the police said.

 The unfortunate incident occurred as the Southco engineers failed to rectify the wires, despite our repeated demands, alleged Sushant Swain, Sarapanch, Goutami gram panchayat.