Woman kills husband`s second wife
Bhubaneswar: A 40-year-old woman hacked her husband`s second wife to death in Odisha over a domestic quarrel, police said on Saturday. Incidentally, the deceased was also the sister of the offender.
The gory crime occurred in a slum in state capital Bhubaneswar Friday when the man, whom the sisters shared as a husband, was away.
The matter came to light after the elder woman, a mother of three, rushed to the nearby police station and surrendered, offering the policemen also the knife she used to commit the murder.
Assistant Commissioner of Police (ACP) BC Mishra said the man, a daily wage labourer, married his wife`s sister, then about 35 years old, about four years ago. The two women had been living with the man and the children as a domestic unit.
On Friday, a quarrel between the sisters threw the elder one into such a fit of rage that she slit her sister`s throat, Mishra told a news agency.
Police have arrested the woman on the basis of her confession, and sent the body of the deceased for autopsy.
In India, polygamy is illegal for Hindus and some other religious groups, under the Hindu Marriage Act. The practice, however, is still rampant in some communities.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Washington Mayor calls Michelle Obama 'gorilla face', says 'she is attractive only to monkey man Barack'
- 'Baahubali' becomes first non-Hindi film to cross Rs 500 crore
- 'Bajrangi Bhaijaan' impact: Govt agrees to help deaf-and-dumb Indian girl stranded in Pakistan
- Govt doesn't want you to even watch porn in private, blocks over 800 sites
- Ban on internet porn: Here's why it is impossible