Woman Maoist leader with Rs 5 lakh reward on head surrenders
Malkangiri: A woman Maoist, with a reward of Rs 5 lakh on her head, surrendered to the police in Odisha`s Malkangiri district on Saturday.
Deve Padiami alias Sandhya, `deputy commander` of newly formed Gupteswar Dalam of the Maoists who had deserted camp two days ago, surrendered to the Inspector General of Police Y K Jethwa and Superintendent of Police Akhilesswar Singh here.
Sandhya was waiting for an opportunity to desert camp after the arrest of her husband Kela Anil Kumar alias Chandu, a Maoist state committee member, two months ago, Singh said.
The threat of being sidelined in the organisation for being a woman leader might have driven her to lay down arms, he said.
She would be rehabilitated as per the government policy for surrendered Maoists, Singh said.
Sandhya, who is also known as Navida among the cadres, was involved in the last 16 years in attack on the armoury at Koraput, attack on the police station at G Udayagiri, Damanjodi, Janiguda and the killing of BSF commandant.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- China condemns Pakistan over Uri terror attack
- Indian- Americans launch online petition to declare Pakistan 'sponsor of terrorism'
- DNA: Analysis over who is responsible for tense condition of Kashmir after Burhan Wani's death?
- Should Pakistani artists be restricted from working in India?
- EU warns Pakistan of political and economic sanctions over atrocities in Baloch
- Onam Bumper Lottery/Kerala Thiruvonam Bumper-2016 BR-51 draw result declared - Here is the winning ticket number
- Uri attack: Israel ready to help India with cutting-edge technology to secure borders
- India's Rafale vs Pakistan's F-16: Why the French fighter jet is the best choice for dogfight
- MNS ultimatum to Pakistani actors: Leave India in 48-hour deadline
- All you need to know about Reliance JioFi at Rs 1,999 – use free data till December 31