Woman Maoist leader with Rs 5 lakh reward on head surrenders
Malkangiri: A woman Maoist, with a reward of Rs 5 lakh on her head, surrendered to the police in Odisha`s Malkangiri district on Saturday.
Deve Padiami alias Sandhya, `deputy commander` of newly formed Gupteswar Dalam of the Maoists who had deserted camp two days ago, surrendered to the Inspector General of Police Y K Jethwa and Superintendent of Police Akhilesswar Singh here.
Sandhya was waiting for an opportunity to desert camp after the arrest of her husband Kela Anil Kumar alias Chandu, a Maoist state committee member, two months ago, Singh said.
The threat of being sidelined in the organisation for being a woman leader might have driven her to lay down arms, he said.
She would be rehabilitated as per the government policy for surrendered Maoists, Singh said.
Sandhya, who is also known as Navida among the cadres, was involved in the last 16 years in attack on the armoury at Koraput, attack on the police station at G Udayagiri, Damanjodi, Janiguda and the killing of BSF commandant.
- J&K: Teams named after militants in cricket tournament
- Laser walls activated along Indo-Pak border to keep vigil against terrorists
- Haji Ali Dargah row: Trupti Desai wants support of Aamir, Salman, SRK
- ISRO successfully launches IRNSS-1G into the orbit
- IRNSS-1G launch: It's a great gift to people of India from scientists, says PM Modi
- Check cgbse.nic.in, www.cgbse.net 10th HS Results 2016 Chhattisgarh CG Board, CGBSE today at 10 AM
- Pakistani Sikhs open temple after 73 years, risking attacks
- 20 killed in Syria regime strike on Aleppo
- Donald Trump vows `America first` foreign policy
- Salah Abdeslam slapped with terror charges over Paris attacks