Woman raped in moving bus in Odisha
Bhubaneswar: A man was arrested in Odisha for raping a woman passenger in a moving bus, police said on Tuesday.
Sushanta Hembram, 25, a helper in the bus, allegedly climbed on to the sleeper section of the bus where the woman was sleeping and raped her after gagging her, investigating officer Sujata Jena told a news agency.
The incident took place in the early hours of Monday. The bus was going from Mayurbhanj to Cuttack city, about 25 km from here.
Although there were about a dozen passengers in the bus, none was awake when the rape took place. The victim could not raise an alarm as her mouth was gagged by the accused, who later threatened to kill her if she dared to speak about it to any one, Jena said.
The incident came to light only after the victim got off from the bus at Cuttack and some people spotted her crying and took her to a police station.
"Police apprehended the helper on the basis of a complaint lodged by the victim. He has confessed to the crime. Medical examinations on the victim has been conducted," the police officer said.
The victim hails from Mayurbhanj, about 250 km from the state capital Bhubaneswar, and works as a maid in Cuttack.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Over 60 cadets killed in Pakistan police academy attack
- DNA: Terrorists' new strategy of snatching weapons from Indian security personnel
- Watch: PM Narendra Modi's ''progressive'' remark on triple talaq
- Panel discussion over vote bank politics on Hinduism
- Panel discussion over delayed development in Ayodhya
- Explosion in Delhi's Naya Bazar, one killed; anti-terror wing, Special cell at spot
- WATCH: Akhilesh Yadav's emotional speech revealing the real reason behind Samajwadi Party crisis; he was about to cry
- India vs New Zealand: Awestruck Kiwis witness MS Dhoni driving his Hummer in Ranchi, and photo goes viral
- Lashkar-e-Toiba claims responsibility for Uri attack in posters pasted in Pakistan town
- Naya Bazar explosion: Home Ministry seeks report from Delhi Police; one dead, 5 injured