Women attack liquor shop in Odisha
Kendrapara (Odisha): Grudging over growing alcoholism among local youths, a group of women attacked a liquor shop at Choudkulat in Kendrapara district, police said on Thursday.
The women picketed in front of the shop and attacked it before police reached the area and controlled them yesterday.
"We have drawn the attention of the district administration and sought closure of the shop located close to schools and a temple. However, the officials did not take note of our grievances," said a protesting woman Lovabati Mohanty.
Sub Divisional Police Officer, Rama Chandra Goud said the agitators tried to ransack the shop but police stopped them in time.
"As the IMFL retail shop was an authorised unit, it is legally not possible to close the shop. The matter has been referred to the district collector, who is empowered to either withdraw or suspend the IMFL trade license," said Excise Inspector, Goutam Swain.
"Women in many parts of the district have launched a drive to close liquor shops. On genuine demand, the administration would shift authorised liquor shops to outside village areas," said Additional District Magistrate Ashok Kumar Panda.
Download the all new Zee News app for Android and iOS to stay up to date with latest headlines and news stories in Politics, Entertainment, Sports, Technology, Business and much more from India and around the world.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Intolerance issue: Proud to be Indian, won't leave country, says Aamir Khan
- Watch: Chicago cop shoots a 17-year-old black man 16 times
- Army camp attacked in J&K's Kupwara; three JeM terrorists, one civilian killed
- Aamir Khan's remarks on intolerance stir controversy; BJP slams, film fraternity split
- WATCH: Rahul Gandhi asks 'Is Swachh Bharat working', Mount Carmel girls yell 'Yessss'