Women attack liquor shop in Odisha
Kendrapara (Odisha): Grudging over growing alcoholism among local youths, a group of women attacked a liquor shop at Choudkulat in Kendrapara district, police said on Thursday.
The women picketed in front of the shop and attacked it before police reached the area and controlled them yesterday.
"We have drawn the attention of the district administration and sought closure of the shop located close to schools and a temple. However, the officials did not take note of our grievances," said a protesting woman Lovabati Mohanty.
Sub Divisional Police Officer, Rama Chandra Goud said the agitators tried to ransack the shop but police stopped them in time.
"As the IMFL retail shop was an authorised unit, it is legally not possible to close the shop. The matter has been referred to the district collector, who is empowered to either withdraw or suspend the IMFL trade license," said Excise Inspector, Goutam Swain.
"Women in many parts of the district have launched a drive to close liquor shops. On genuine demand, the administration would shift authorised liquor shops to outside village areas," said Additional District Magistrate Ashok Kumar Panda.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- PM Narendra Modi's speech at Heart of Asia conference
- Aware of Chinese submarine deployment at Balochistan's Gwadar port, says Navy chief
- Like SAARC, should India boycott Pak in Heart of Asia conference?
- 'Heart of Asia' Conference begins in Amritsar; Sartaj Aziz to pay a visit on Sunday
- Iraqi army inches close to Baghdadi in Mosul- Report
- Rs 14,000 crore default case: Gujarat businessman detained, says money belongs to politicians, babus
- Newly-wed couple Yuvraj Singh and Hazel Keech perform `bhangra` at Goa airport – Viral video
- Gujarat man who disclosed Rs 14,000 crore unaccounted wealth goes missing
- RBI to issue new Rs 20, Rs 50 notes; old notes to remain legal tender
- Rahul Dravid heaps praise on Virat Kohli, R Ashwin; calls duo modern cricket legends