Women attack liquor shop in Odisha
Kendrapara (Odisha): Grudging over growing alcoholism among local youths, a group of women attacked a liquor shop at Choudkulat in Kendrapara district, police said on Thursday.
The women picketed in front of the shop and attacked it before police reached the area and controlled them yesterday.
"We have drawn the attention of the district administration and sought closure of the shop located close to schools and a temple. However, the officials did not take note of our grievances," said a protesting woman Lovabati Mohanty.
Sub Divisional Police Officer, Rama Chandra Goud said the agitators tried to ransack the shop but police stopped them in time.
"As the IMFL retail shop was an authorised unit, it is legally not possible to close the shop. The matter has been referred to the district collector, who is empowered to either withdraw or suspend the IMFL trade license," said Excise Inspector, Goutam Swain.
"Women in many parts of the district have launched a drive to close liquor shops. On genuine demand, the administration would shift authorised liquor shops to outside village areas," said Additional District Magistrate Ashok Kumar Panda.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- There will be earthquake if I speak on demonetisation: Rahul Gandhi
- Zee Media Exclusive: A reality check on public opinion on notes ban!
- Panel discussion on the decision of demonetisation
- DNA: Is political system root cause of corruption in the country?
- DNA: Analysis of the letter written by defence minister to Kolkata CM?
- Mongolia seeks India's financial aid, Chinese official media says it's 'insane'
- PoK erupts with 'azadi' slogans; Pakistan Army brutally thrashes protesters
- SC asks govt if demonetisation was confidential; to judge if policy unconstitutional
- OMG! Man punches Kangaroo in face to save dog – Watch video
- Aamir Khan as Mahavir Singh Phogat in 'Dangal' title track looks phenomenal!