Women grievances cell in Orissa district
Berhampur (Orissa): For womenfolk facing
difficulties in settling land related disputes in the tehsil
offices, here is good news.
Ganjam district administration in Orissa opened a
center at Khallikote tehsil for women to redress their
grievances on the occasion of International Women`s Day today.
The Women`s Land Rights Facilitation Center (WLRFC),
described as the first of its kind in the state to be run by
women revenue officials, will work for conferment of land
rights on women under the existing laws and revenue structure.
Such centers would be replicated in other tehsils in
the district depending on the success of its functioning, said
additional district magistrate S B Padhy.
He inaugurated the center in the presence of several
dignitaries including the country director, Rural Development
Institute (RDI), Gregory Rakey, MLA (Kabisurya Nagar) Sugnana
Kumari Deo and several others. "We have allotted two women
officers of our tehsil to run the center," said tehsildar
(Khallikote) B K Das.
RDI, an international NGO working in the filed of
land issues, would provide technical support to the women
revenue officials and create awareness among the rural women
to get benefit.
The center will function with the objective of
identifying eligible women for land allocation under the
government`s land distribution schemes, awareness generation
and capacity building of multiple stakeholders, including
field level revenue officials, Integrated Child Development
Scheme (ICDS) functionaries and women beneficiaries and to
provide a forum for redressal of grievances and disputes
related to women`s land rights, sources said.
In the absence of male members, women in rural areas
face a lot of problem to get their land rights and other
certificates. Almost all of them depend on middlemen and
occasionally face harassment by them.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Rahul Gandhi takes U-turn, says never blamed RSS for Gandhi's assassination
- Secret documents on Indian Navy's Scorpene-class submarine leaked
- PM Modi's photos, Indian flags raised during massive protests in Balochistan
- Did India become victim of Scorpene submarine conspiracy?
- Did India become victim of Scorpene submarine conspiracy? Part II
- Philippines' Rodrigo Duterte says Southeast Asia will insist China respects sea ruling
- PC shipment grew 7.2% in Q2 2016, HP leads: IDC
- Army asks police to find if drones being flown in Andaman and Nicobar Islands
- CRPF trooper killed in landslide near Vaishno Devi shrine
- Defamation case: Rahul Gandhi takes U-turn, says never blamed RSS for Mahatma Gandhi's assassination