Women protest attack on lady sarpanch in Odisha
Bhubaneswar: In a novel way of protesting a recent attack on a lady sarpanch, women activists Tuesday demonstrated here carrying the injured leader in a stretcher to demand arrest and exemplary punishment to the culprits.
The protesters, mobilised by the State Progressive Women`s Forum, alleged that though the woman sarpanch was seriously injured in the attack in Kendrapara district on December 25, the culprits were yet to be arrested.
The Sarpanch of Ghaghra Gram Panchayat in Kendrapara district Binodini Mallick, who had been attacked by elements opposed to her style of functioning, was brought by the demonstrators in a stretcher with bandage on her body.
Alleging inaction on the part of the police, the slogan shouting protesters demanded setting up of a special committee to ensure peace in Nikirai area on the outskirts of Kendrapara township which witnessed the incident.
The woman sarpanch, who had suffered multiple injuries on head, legs and arms, had been admitted to SCB Medical College and Hospital at Cuttack for treatment.
Mallick`s supporters claimed that though she had informed the police about the possibility of an attack, no action was taken.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Admissions 2015: Know India's best ranking Universities
- Zee Media Exclusive interview with UPSC topper Ira Singhal's family
- UPSC announces Civil Services Examination 2014 results
- Watch: Top 25 Headlines @ 12 pm
- Dr Subhash Chandra Show: Is Corporate Social Responsibility nothing but a marketing gimmick?
- UPSC announces Civil Services Examination 2014 results; women bag top four positions
- 3rd Test, Day 2: Sri Lanka rattle Pakistan in decider
- Dawood Ibrahim's surrender offer rejected due to a 'condition', clarifies Sharad Pawar
- Vyapam scam: MP medical college dean found dead in hotel, body sent for post-mortem
- Vyapam scam: Last rites of journalist Akshay Singh performed; MP CM assures of SIT probe