Work at Posco site remains suspended for 3rd day
Paradip: Work at the proposed Posco
steel project site in Orissa`s Jagatsinghpur district was suspended for the third consecutive day Monday due to protests by villagers over felling of trees.
"We will discuss the matter with people and seek
their cooperation before going ahead with the work in the
proposed project area", district collector N C Jena said.
In the wake of Saturday`s unsuccessful attempt by the
administration to fell trees in Mathasahi under Nuagaon
pancahyat which led to a scuffle between the police and
villagers causing injury to five women, villagers were keeping
a strict vigil in the area.
A large number of women were seen guarding the forest area at Mathasahi while men were sitting on dharna at Nuagaon under the banner of Bhitamati Surakshya Manch (BSM).
President of pro-Posco United Action Committee (UAC),
Anadi Rout condemned the alleged police excess on women
protestors at Mathasahi on Saturday. He urged fulfilment of
their six demands before carrying out work in the area.
The ongoing dharna by anti-Posco outfit at Dhnikia has been strengthened after participation of Dongaria Kondh tribals from Niyamgiri hills in Kalahandi district.
Holding their traditional weapons, about 100 tribals were shouting
slogans against displacement of people from the area.
About 200 security personnel, deployed at Nuagaon, had
been withdrawn from the area and were now camping at Kujanga
while four platoons were deployed at Dhinkia.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Why do politicians show concern about Dalits during elections only?
- Why do politicians show concern about Dalits during elections only? Part II
- Why do politicians show concern about Dalits during elections only? Part III
- Why do politicians show concern about Dalits during elections only? Part IV
- Rajinikanth's 'Kabali' releases early morning at 6 am in Mumbai!
- Santander pips BBVA: Eurozone`s largest bank becomes La Liga's newest sponsors
- US sanctions target Assad regime's arms, finance networks
- Bastille Day killer had help preparing Nice attack, says Paris prosecutor
- Another milestone for captain marvellous: Virat Kohli completes 3000 Test runs
- Brazil arrests 'amateur' group accused of Olympics terror plot