Work at Posco site resumes after 10 days
Paradip: Work at the proposed
site for Posco`s controversial Rs 52,000-crore steel project
in Orissa`s Jagatsinghpur district resumed on Tuesday after
remaining stalled since June 26.
"Work in Gadakujanga and Nuagaon areas is going on
today," Jagatsinghpur district collector N C Jena said.
Felling of trees and clearing of forest area and
acquired betel-vine farms were continuing in Gadakujanga and
Nuagaon areas, official sources said, adding steps were also
taken for ground levelling.
In Polanga-Noliasahi area of Nuagaon panchayat, where
rehabilitation colony for displaced people was proposed to be
constructed, sand filling and other civil works were in
progress, Jena said.
Work had come to a halt after villagers and activists
of United Action Committee (UAC), an outfit backing the mega
project, staged dharna demanding immediate fulfilment of their
six-point demands including enhanced compensation to land
losers and proper rehabilitation.
Following talks with district authorities on July 1,
UAC leaders agreed to cooperate and allow work in the land
already acquired for the project, the sources said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Sheena murder: Trio to be taken to Raigad to re-construct crime scene
- Mikhail emailed sister Sheena Bora's resignation letter: Report
- Raksha Bandhan: Sushma Swaraj ties Rakhi to Venkaiah Naidu
- Shiv Sena announces award of 2 lakh for Hindu families with 5 kids
- Watch: Wife catches husband with his girlfriend at Goa Airport
- Women's hockey team seals Olympic spot after 36 years, creates history on Dhyan Chand's birthday
- Sushma Swaraj ties rakhi to M Venkaiah Naidu
- Know box-office report of Saif-Katrina's 'Phantom'
- Indrani Mukerjea's son Mikhail emailed Sheena Bora's resignation letter
- Ten interesting facts about hockey legend Dhyan Chand