Workers launch fresh blockade in Rourkela
Rourkela: Workers of a refractory unit
and their family members launched a fresh road blockade on
NH-23 at Lathikata near here today even as 224 arrested
persons, including Independent MLA George Tirkey, staged a
hunger strike in jail.
Two days after their road blockade was cleared by
police, about 300 Orind workers and family members again took
to the street with a fresh blockade on NH-23, Inspector
in-charge of Lathikata police station G C Sahu said.
Police personnel in strength have been sent to the
area to prevent any untoward situation and maintain law and
order, police said.
Meanwhile, the 224 persons, including Biramitrapur
legislator George Tirkey were forwarded to court and sent to
jail on judicial remand for two weeks, sources said adding
they had been arrested on Friday by police to clear the road.
Tirkey and others lodged in the special jail here have
launched a hunger strike inside the prison in support of the
demand for payment of wages to Orind workers for the last 14
months and payment of statutory benefit to retired, deceased
and resigned employees.
Jail Superintendent Sarangadhara Bhoi said Tirkey and
others refused to take food and threatened to observe fast
till their demand was fulfilled.
A lockout had been declared in May in the factory
where production had stopped several months ago with
workers claiming non-payment of wages and other dues for last
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
More from Health
- PM Narendra Modi's speech at Heart of Asia conference
- Is population control next on central govt's agenda after demonetization?
- India-Afghanistan thrash Pakistan over terrorism issue in Heart of Asia conference
- Gujarat: Goods train engine catches fire in Surat
- Watch: Tracing the journey of Tamil Nadu CM Jayalalithaa from films to politics
- Live: Supporters pay last respects to Jayalalithaa at Rajaji Hall; cremation today evening
- Fake or Real? 'Alien animal' caught on Karnataka-Kerala border
- People want to know whether Jayalalithaa is alive or not; PM Narendra Modi must intervene, says expelled AIADMK MP Sasikala Pushpa
- Tamil Nadu CM Jayalalithaa's condition continues to remain critical after suffering cardiac arrest
- Jayalalithaa's health condition: Amma critical, nation's political fraternity expresses concern - Who said what