World Bank offers support for Odisha`s mineral sector
Bhubaneswar: Asking Odisha government to identify a mineral resource corridor in the state, a World Bank delegation on Thursday offered to provide technical assistance for its mineral sector, a senior government official said.
The four-member World Bank delegation made this offer to the state government while holding a discussion with the development commissioner J K Mohapatra here.
"World Bank team has offered to provide technical assistance for development of mineral sector of the state," Director of Mines Deepak Mohanty told reporters.
Stating that the World Bank team have already undertaken a tour to different mines areas in Keonjhar, Sundergarh and Jajpur districts, Mohanty said they would be submitting a detailed project report (DPR) to the state government within 15 days.
The World Bank would provide support in the field mineral concession agreement, renewal of mining leases, grant of mining leases, socio-economic and environmental impact of mining and revenue generation from mineral sector, Mohanty said.
The World Bank team engaged by the Economic Affairs Department under Union Finance Ministry visited the state and have conducted the scoping study of mines and visited Joda and some mines of Odisha Mining Corporation (OMC).
The study on Resource Corridor for individual mining belt is felt imperative for development and management of mines, they said.
Meanwhile, the state government has decided to launch e-auction of all bulk minerals like iron ore, manganese and chrome meant for noncaptive use from April 1 this year in a bid to bring in greater transparency in the process.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Admissions 2015: Know India's best ranking Universities
- Zee Media Exclusive interview with UPSC topper Ira Singhal's family
- UPSC announces Civil Services Examination 2014 results
- Watch: Top 25 Headlines @ 12 pm
- Dr Subhash Chandra Show: Is Corporate Social Responsibility nothing but a marketing gimmick?
- UPSC announces Civil Services Examination 2014 results; women bag top four positions
- Vyapam scam: MP medical college dean found dead in hotel, body sent for post-mortem
- Dawood Ibrahim's surrender offer rejected due to a 'condition', clarifies Sharad Pawar
- Vyapam scam: Last rites of journalist Akshay Singh performed; MP CM assures of SIT probe
- Photographer captures International Space Station flying across moon