Youth held for extorting money by posing as Maoist
Koraput (Odisha): A youth was arrested for allegedly posing himself as a Maoist and trying to extort money from a forest officer here, police said Monday.
Posing as a Maoist cadre, Roshan Kumar Khora allegedly telephoned the Korput divisional forest officer on October 7 and demanded Rs 10,000, threatening him with dire consequences if he informed the police.
Following repeated calls, the DFO filed a complaint with the police, SP Awinash Kumar said, adding that the caller was caught by tracking of his mobile phone.
"During interrogation it was found that the youth has no link with the Maoists and just to make quick money, he presented himself as a Maoist because people seldom dare to complain against them to the police," the SP said.
Kohra is a resident of Upper Kutinga village under Laxmipur police station but for the past few days he was staying with a relative a few kilometres away from Koraput.
There has been a rise in such incidents in recent past with unscrupulous elements trying to take advantage of the terror unleashed by Maoists in the region.
In the past few weeks, police in Rayagada district had arrested at least 11 such persons for trying to extort traders and government officials.
Two such cadres were also arrested from Malkangiri district in August.
Download the all new Zee News app for Android and iOS to stay up to date with latest headlines and news stories in Politics, Entertainment, Sports, Technology, Business and much more from India and around the world.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- I am surviving only on 25% of my liver today, says Big B
- Aamir Khan's 'intolerance' comment kicks up row
- Exclusive: Sudhir Chaudhary in conversation with Aamir Khan on intolerance in India!
- Panel discussion on Aamir Khan's remark on 'intolerance'
- Rahul Gandhi spotted with hate speech convict Imran Masood in Saharanpur
- Karnataka, Madhya Pradesh bypoll results: As it happened on November 24
- Intolerance issue: When did ‘Incredible India’ become ‘Intolerant India’, Anupam Kher asks Aamir Khan
- Tirupati, Tirumala rains update: Temple remains open; pilgrims continue to pour in for darshan
- BJP's big poser to Aamir Khan: Is there any better neighbour for Muslims than a Hindu?
- Muslim leader Asaduddin Owaisi says Aamir Khan wrong in wanting to leave India