Youth held for extorting money by posing as Maoist
Koraput (Odisha): A youth was arrested for allegedly posing himself as a Maoist and trying to extort money from a forest officer here, police said Monday.
Posing as a Maoist cadre, Roshan Kumar Khora allegedly telephoned the Korput divisional forest officer on October 7 and demanded Rs 10,000, threatening him with dire consequences if he informed the police.
Following repeated calls, the DFO filed a complaint with the police, SP Awinash Kumar said, adding that the caller was caught by tracking of his mobile phone.
"During interrogation it was found that the youth has no link with the Maoists and just to make quick money, he presented himself as a Maoist because people seldom dare to complain against them to the police," the SP said.
Kohra is a resident of Upper Kutinga village under Laxmipur police station but for the past few days he was staying with a relative a few kilometres away from Koraput.
There has been a rise in such incidents in recent past with unscrupulous elements trying to take advantage of the terror unleashed by Maoists in the region.
In the past few weeks, police in Rayagada district had arrested at least 11 such persons for trying to extort traders and government officials.
Two such cadres were also arrested from Malkangiri district in August.
- J&K: Teams named after militants in cricket tournament
- Laser walls activated along Indo-Pak border to keep vigil against terrorists
- Haji Ali Dargah row: Trupti Desai wants support of Aamir, Salman, SRK
- ISRO successfully launches IRNSS-1G into the orbit
- IRNSS-1G launch: It's a great gift to people of India from scientists, says PM Modi
- View from space: Bahamas reef looks like a watercolor painting!
- Madame Tussauds to unveil PM Narendra Modi's wax statue in London today
- WATCH: Hilarious! Chris Gayle performs on 'Champion' song; asks fans to contact him for bookings
- AgustaWestland VVIP chopper scam: SC to hear plea next week on FIR against 'bribe-takers'
- Wow! KFC India to replace plastic packaging with edible bowls!