Youth held for extorting money by posing as Maoist
Koraput (Odisha): A youth was arrested for allegedly posing himself as a Maoist and trying to extort money from a forest officer here, police said Monday.
Posing as a Maoist cadre, Roshan Kumar Khora allegedly telephoned the Korput divisional forest officer on October 7 and demanded Rs 10,000, threatening him with dire consequences if he informed the police.
Following repeated calls, the DFO filed a complaint with the police, SP Awinash Kumar said, adding that the caller was caught by tracking of his mobile phone.
"During interrogation it was found that the youth has no link with the Maoists and just to make quick money, he presented himself as a Maoist because people seldom dare to complain against them to the police," the SP said.
Kohra is a resident of Upper Kutinga village under Laxmipur police station but for the past few days he was staying with a relative a few kilometres away from Koraput.
There has been a rise in such incidents in recent past with unscrupulous elements trying to take advantage of the terror unleashed by Maoists in the region.
In the past few weeks, police in Rayagada district had arrested at least 11 such persons for trying to extort traders and government officials.
Two such cadres were also arrested from Malkangiri district in August.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- UP CM Yogi Adityanath takes 50 decisions without single Cabinet meet
- UP CM Yogi Adityanath reviews Gomti riverfront work
- UP CM Yogi Adityanath warns supporters of criminals, mafia
- Legal, illegal slaughterhouses in UP: What you need to know
- Triple talaq, polygamy integral part of Islam: AIMPLB tells SC
- Azam Khan demands ban on cow slaughter across India, says Muslims should stop eating beef
- Kapil Sharma–Sunil Grover fallout: Kiku Sharda finally breaks silence
- Sunil Grover to return as Dr Mashoor Gulati!
- Asaduddin Owaisi asks Centre to clarify policy on buffalo meat export, Nirmala Sitharaman gives apt reply
- No ban on cow slaughter in three Northeast states if party comes to power next year: BJP