Youth held for extorting money by posing as Maoist
Koraput (Odisha): A youth was arrested for allegedly posing himself as a Maoist and trying to extort money from a forest officer here, police said Monday.
Posing as a Maoist cadre, Roshan Kumar Khora allegedly telephoned the Korput divisional forest officer on October 7 and demanded Rs 10,000, threatening him with dire consequences if he informed the police.
Following repeated calls, the DFO filed a complaint with the police, SP Awinash Kumar said, adding that the caller was caught by tracking of his mobile phone.
"During interrogation it was found that the youth has no link with the Maoists and just to make quick money, he presented himself as a Maoist because people seldom dare to complain against them to the police," the SP said.
Kohra is a resident of Upper Kutinga village under Laxmipur police station but for the past few days he was staying with a relative a few kilometres away from Koraput.
There has been a rise in such incidents in recent past with unscrupulous elements trying to take advantage of the terror unleashed by Maoists in the region.
In the past few weeks, police in Rayagada district had arrested at least 11 such persons for trying to extort traders and government officials.
Two such cadres were also arrested from Malkangiri district in August.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- UP: Jammu-bound Muri Express derails in Kaushambi
- Five unmanned parachute-like objects spotted over Mumbai airport
- CBSE Board Class 12th Exam Results 2015 declared
- Delhi's 2015 CBSE Class 12 topper M Gayatri talks to Zee Media
- Jaipur girl Mini Rajpal wins Miss India Deaf 2015!
- Dawood's intercepted phone calls prove yet again he is in Pakistan
- Watch: Mumbai cops find new secret agents in housewives!
- No respite from heat for next three days: IMD
- One year of Modi govt: PM addresses mega rally in Mathura
- DNA: Sikh man in New Zealand removed his turban to help injured kid
- One year of Modi govt: PM promises to fulfil aspirations
- Police registers case after parachute-like objects were spotted over Mumbai airport
- Hundreds die as heat wave continues in India
- Growing medical negligence in Delhi's AIIMS
- DNA: AIIMS doctor removes both kidneys of minor, claims she had only one
- Check cbseresults.nic.in for CBSE Class 12 result 2015
- PM Narendra Modi's Mathura rally: As it happened
- CBSE Class 12 results out: Here's how you can check
- Public rally on 100 days of AAP govt: As it happened
- One year of NDA govt: PM Modi writes open letter to nation, promises to transform India
- World optimistic about India: PM Narendra Modi on 1 year of NDA govt
- Unidentified flying objects spotted over Mumbai airport not motorised: Home Department
- Militants kill five, target telecoms in Kashmir attacks
- Bharatiya Janata Party lacks majority for Ram Temple, Article 370: Amit Shah
- AAP govt moves resolution against MHA notification: As it happened
- China doesn't recognise 'illegal' McMahon Line: Beijing responds to NSA Ajit Doval
- CBSE Class 12th Board Exam Results 2015: cbseresults.nic.in crashes