Youth held for extorting money by posing as Maoist
Koraput (Odisha): A youth was arrested for allegedly posing himself as a Maoist and trying to extort money from a forest officer here, police said today.
Posing as a Maoist cadre, Roshan Kumar Khora allegedly telephoned the Korput divisional forest officer on October 7 and demanded Rs 10,000, threatening him with dire consequences if he informed the police.
Following repeated calls, the DFO filed a complaint with the police, SP Awinash Kumar said, adding that the caller was caught by tracking of his mobile phone.
"During interrogation it was found that the youth has no link with the Maoists and just to make quick money, he presented himself as a Maoist because people seldom dare to complain against them to the police," the SP said.
Kohra is a resident of Upper Kutinga village under Laxmipur police station but for the past few days he was staying with a relative a few kilometres away from Koraput.
There has been a rise in such incidents in recent past with unscrupulous elements trying to take advantage of the terror unleashed by Maoists in the region.
In the past few weeks, police in Rayagada district had arrested at least 11 such persons for trying to extort traders and government officials.
Two such cadres were also arrested from Malkangiri district in August.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Is Akhilesh Yadav overlooking Muslims as Mulayam Singh alleged?
- DNA: Why did Navjot Singh Sidhu call BJP 'Kaikeyi’, Congress ‘Kaushalya’?
- 38-year-old arrested for ‘raping’ minors in Delhi; assaulted over 600 girls
- My father wanted me to be a man of character: Navjot Singh Siddhu
- BJP announces 149 names in first list of candidates for UP elections
- Geeta Phogat comes to rescue of Zaira Wasim; hits out at trolls, asks actress not to apologise
- ‘Dangal’ star Zaira Wasim says I am not a role model, not proud of what I am doing
- Assembly Elections: BJP releases list of 149 candidates for Uttar Pradesh, 64 for Uttarakhand
- China's NSG stand is neither fair nor transparent, says Defence Expert
- Serial child rapist arrested in Delhi, says 'preyed on girls for sexual satisfaction, enjoyed it'