Youth on country-wide tour to speak against child labour
Berhampur: A 22 year-old village
youth from Uttar Pradesh is on a solo country-wide motorcycle
tour to create awareness against child labour and has reached
this coastal Orissa town to spread his message.
Merja Ahmed of Palia Kalan village of Kheri district
launched his tour on February 17 with the slogan `Abolish
Child Labour and Save Childhood`.
``I have decided to spread the message as child labour
still prevails in many parts of the country though the Centre
has banned it in all its forms from October 10, 2006,`` Ahmed,
who is involved in the mobile phone business, said.
In spite of the ban, child labourers are seen working
in hazardous occupations in motor garages, eateries, hotel and
restaurants and mines. ``When a child is engaged in a
hazardous occupation, we not only ruin his/her childhood but
also push his/her future in darkness,`` he said.
``I educate people during my journey through public
address in public places and interact with Rotarians and media
persons,`` Ahmed a college drop-out and a Rotarian said.
He has already covered major towns in Uttar Pradesh,
Bihar, Jharkhand, West Bengal and Orissa and will leave for
Vishakhapatnam next week.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- WATCH: MS Dhoni asks Jasprit Bumrah to go easy after he hurriedly ran out England skipper Eoin Morgan
- World's 30 most dynamic cities: Check out the full list
- WATCH: Kieron Pollard's incredible one-handed six demoralises Fawad Ahmed
- IND vs ENG, 2nd ODI: Yuvraj Singh silences critics with 14th ODI hundred, fourth against England — WATCH
- India vs England: After Virender Sehwag, Sachin Tendulkar gives Piers Morgan cricketing gyan