Youth sentence to death for rape in Odisha
Nabarangpur (Odisha): A tribal youth was sentenced to death by a court here today for rape and murder of a widow in Odisha`s Nabarangpur district.
Pronouncing the judgement, District and Sessions Judge Kishore Chandra Mohapatra sentenced to death Mishro Paraja (25), a resident of Kesarbeda village in Umerkote area, for the offence committed on February 27, 2011.
According to Public Prosecutor Prakash Mishra, the 60-year-old widow, a resident of the same village, was grazing cattle in a field when she was raped by the youth.
Immediately after raping the widow, the accused began to throttle her neck. Hearing the victim`s cries, a couple - Durlva Santa and his wife Nila - who was passing by rushed to the spot and tried to rescue the victim but as the accused threatened them they went away and informed the villagers.
When the villagers reached the spot, they saw that Paraja had already killed the woman and was on way to the burial ground.
The villagers informed police after which he was arrested.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Sachin Tendulkar joins Narendra Modi's #SelfieWithDaughter campaign
- BJP MP Hema Malini injured, one child killed in Dausa road accident
- Parliamentary panel recommends 100% salary hike for MPs, health benefits for grandchildren
- Madrasas that do not teach primary subjects to be considered 'non-schools', says Maharashtra govt
- Congress 'weak' to stop Modi; Rahul 'out of touch' with reality: Hansraj Bhardwaj