Defiant Kalmadi to face scrutiny over CWG
  • This Section
  • Latest
  • Web Wrap
Last Updated: Monday, November 29, 2010, 12:52
  
Zeecric Bureau

New Delhi: Indian Olympics Association chairman Suresh Kalmadi returned to Delhi on Sunday night. The under scrutiny CWG Organising Committee chairman was in China for the Asian Games.

“I have done nothing wrong from my end. I’m ready to face any probe, have done no wrong,” Kalmadi told reporters before entering the Parliament on Monday.

Kalmadi also said that the success of the Commonwealth Games has rubbed off well on the international sports bodies. “I have been told that India can host Olympics in the future by international sports bodies during my visit to China, Morocco and Iran,” he said.

He returns at a time when three of his closest aides - TS Darbari, Sanjay Mohindroo and M Jayachandran - are behind bars for their alleged involvement in corrupt deals during the Queen's Baton relay in London last year.

Kalmadi’s biggest concern, according to sources is that with Asian Games in Guangzhou drawing to a close, focus of investigations could shift to the Commonwealth Games and its mishandlings. Reports that three ex-OC officials arrested in Queen's Baton Relay scam have been busy pointing fingers in Kalmadi's direction cannot have increased Pune MP's comfort levels. There is an expectation that Bhanot and other Kalmadi aides like R K Sacheti, joint director general, could be next in line for questioning by central agencies.

Meanwhile, a panel of senior IAS officers working with OC will be looking at payments due to major vendors like Agarwal Foods, Tata Motors and Australian firm Howard and Sons which was contracted for fireworks display. The Australian company has complained that its USD 300,000 dues have been held up despite successful show. But officials said contracts will be scrutinised carefully to ensure that obligations are met.


First Published: Monday, November 29, 2010, 12:52


comments powered by Disqus