Firing near Jama Masjid will have no bearing on CWG: Randhir
  • This Section
  • Latest
  • Web Wrap
Last Updated: Monday, September 20, 2010, 22:22
  
New Delhi: The shooting incident near the Jama Masjid here will have no bearing on the Commonwealth Games next month as foolproof security arrangements have been put in place for the visiting athletes and officials, said Organising Committee vice-president Randhir Singh.

Randhir today said no evidence has been found so far to suggest that incident was linked to the sporting extravaganza and that the Games will take place in a secure environment despite some participating nations issuing travel advisory.

"Top class arrangements have been made by the security agencies concerned and Games will take place in a secure environment. Union Home Minister P Chidambaram is himself taking interest to ensure smooth conduct of the Games. We are all prepared and ready to host a world-class sporting event," Randhir told reporters here.

"Participating nations have started arriving in the city. Scotland are sending their largest contingent ever. Regarding the travel advisory issued by some countries there is nothing much to talk about.”

"It's sad that such an incident took place but we are not at all worried about the security arrangements," Randhir added.

Two Taiwanese nationals were injured when two men on a motorcycle fired several rounds on a tourist vehicle near the historic Jama Masjid in the walled city yesterday.

The Games organisers immediately issued a statement assuring fool-proof security during the October 3-14 quadrennial extravaganza.

Randhir said the chef-de-missions of different Commonwealth countries have given thumbs up to the security arrangements put in place by the organisers.

"They have their chef-de-missions here. They are all convinced with the security. Terror is one thing which can happen anytime anywhere in the world. But where needed we have made elaborate arrangements. Don't worry," assured Randhir, who is also the secretary general of the Indian Olympic Association (IOA).

Rajiv Shukla, Chairman of the Commonwealth Games spectators sub-committee, said the terrorists deliberately planned this attack keeping in mind the mega event.

"It was planned so as to keep countrymen and visitors away from the Games. It was done keeping the big event in mind. But I would like to urge the people to come out in large numbers and witness the event. It's related to nation's prestige and honour," said Shukla, who is also BCCI's Finance and Media Committee chairman.

PTI


First Published: Monday, September 20, 2010, 22:22


comments powered by Disqus