12 injured in Punjab college clash over Pakistan match
Chandigarh: Twelve students at a private engineering college in Punjab were injured following a clash between students from Kashmir and others over support to Pakistan team during an international cricket match, college sources said on Thursday.
Police said that at least 12 students were injured in the clash between both sides at the hostel of Swami Parmanand College of Engineering and Technology near Lalru, 35 km from here, on Tuesday night.
The clash took place while the students of the institution were watching a one-day international match between Pakistan and Sri Lanka on TV.
Students present in the college hostel common room told the police that the students from Kashmir started shouting slogans in favour of Pakistan which was objected to by some other students. This led to heated arguments between both sides and a clash.
At least 12 students were rushed to nearby private hospitals due to injuries sustained in the clash. College property was also damaged in the incident.
The college administration called the police when things went out of hand.
Sources said that there was tension on the college campus as there were about 200 students from Kashmir studying there and most of them stayed in the hostel.
Station House Officer Santokh Singh said that the situation had been brought under control and a case was registered following the clash.
Some local students and BJP leader on Wednesday even blocked a highway near the college, demanding the arrest of Kashmiri students.
College principal PD Sharma said that the institution had been closed till September 08.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Missed the dance of American President Donald Trump? - Watch it here
- Pawan, a BE student develops smart dustbin -Watch
- DNA: Manish Sisodia faces CBI probe over alleged irregularities in 'Talk To AK' programme
- Barack Obama thanks Americans for making him a 'better man'
- Is there no respect for Congress in UP politics?
- Accused of Muslim-bias on visa applications, Sushma Swaraj hits back
- Cuttack ODI: Umpire Kumar Dharmasena messes up DRS review, twitter couldn't stop trolling
- Donald Trump's Inauguration Day: As it happened
- Yuvraj Singh's wife Hazel Keech suggests new middle name for hubby Yuvi following Cuttack heroics
- Bigots at it again! Mohammed Shami called un-Islamic for posting picture with dog