12 pc rise in power tariff in Punjab
Chandigarh: Power consumers in the state will have to shell out more, with regulator Punjab State Electricity Regulatory Commission (PSERC) on Monday announcing an average tariff hike of 12.08 per cent.
The hike, the second highest increase in the last five years, will be applicable to all categories of consumers for the financial year 2012-13.
Apart from this, a 10 paise per unit tariff has also been levied for the first time on continuous process industry including textile, spinning, casting which will be applicable from November 1, this year.
Besides, a 4 paise fuel surcharge for metered category and Rs 2 per BHP on unmetered category (Agriculture Pumpsets) will also be levied on all categories on account of 20 per cent rise in fuel cost.
"We are having an average increase of 12.08 per cent across the board for the financial year 2012-13," PSERC, Chairperson, Romila Dubey told reporters here today.
The new tariff will be effective from April 1, 2012, Dubey said.
"However, power utility Punjab State Power Corporation Limited (PSPCL) has been allowed to recover the arrears (arising out of new tariff) in installments from consumers," She said.
Notably, the actual outgo for power consumers will be higher as Punjab government also levies electricity duty of 13 per cent and 10 paise per unit as octroi on energy consumption which is exclusive of tariff rates.
For small industrial consumers, the new tariff rate of Rs 5.10 paise a unit has been fixed, representing an increase of 12.09 per cent. For medium and large industries including arc and induction furnaces, the rate has been set at Rs 5.61 paise per unit.
However, for railway traction, the minimal hike of 2.93 per cent has been announced and will be chargeable at the rate of Rs 6.03 paise a unit.
Punjab government, which has to give a commitment to the power regulator for bearing the entire burden of free power being given to agriculture and other sectors, gave its nod in this regard last week.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- DNA: APJ Abdul Kalam's last journey, India bids a tearful adieu
- DNA : Justice delivered; India hangs 1993 Mumbai blasts convict Yakub Memon
- 'People's President' APJ Abdul Kalam laid to rest in Rameswaram
- Shashi Tharoor condems Yakub Memon's hanging
- Robert Vadra explains Facebook post, denies insulting Parliament
- Yakub Memon: The two men who lead police to 'House of Memons'
- Why did you choose Smriti Irani as HRD minister? Congress leader asks PM Narendra Modi
- Meeting called by Speaker fails to end Parliament logjam; government indicates all-party meet
- Rajnath slams UPA for coining 'Hindu terrorists', Congress accuses BJP of playing politics on terror
- Cristiano Ronaldo great, but Lionel Messi is greatest: Xavi Hernandez